thread blocking?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bonsai Nut , is there an option in the forum software to allow one to block threads like you would ignore users?

Obviously one can ignore the person who started a thread and that thread will no longer show up in "new posts" but seems to me one should be able to avoid having to block a user just because of a single thread (thinking the Trump thread but there are others).

Anyway, it seems like a feature that could be useful, to me at least.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This would be handy! Or even have the ability to not view certain "rooms" in new posts...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Two words...FREE WILL...something we discuss a lot in our youth group. We are given free will to make certain choices. Even at an early age we learn we have to make the right decisions. Not touch a hot stove...and such. I would hope that we can all be man/woman enough when a thread is to much and steals ones joy of the forum. We can just...ignore it. I have a few I don't open and go into any longer. Without needing to have it blocked on a personal level as an option here. Just food for thought...

I do believe this question was asked of Greg a few times. That it still isn't an option is most likely an answer...But to me...using free will should be applied in such instance of what thread one chooses to open.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two words...FREE WILL...something we discuss a lot in our youth group. We are given free will to make certain choices. Even at an early age we learn we have to make the right decisions. Not touch a hot stove...and such. I would hope that we can all be man/woman enough when a thread is to much and steals ones joy of the forum. We can just...ignore it. I have a few I don't open and go into any longer. Without needing to have it blocked on a personal level as an option here. Just food for thought...

I do believe this question was asked of Greg a few times. That it still isn't an option is most likely an answer...But to me...using free will should be applied in such instance of what thread one chooses to open.

Hmm, let's talk about FREE WILL.

How many members do you have on ignore right now? I know you've made a big deal about putting some members on ignore over various perceived slights. Why not instead employ that FREE WILL and just skip past their posts? Why use ignore, when you can just...as you say...use FREE WILL and ignore it?

Did you ever look up that definition I suggested recently?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I'd love a block thread option. Its not about not wanting to read a thread or being able to ignore one I don't agree with, for me its about seeing the same thread bumped to the top over and over again when it should have been allowed to die a long time ago.
I see a lot of newer posts pushed to the bottom or off the front page due to some silly thread or people wanting to argue over childish things, being able to make these threads go away would really clean up the boards and each member could personalize it to best suite them.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You can just turn off a thread follow so you don't get notified of updates and if you don't want to read it, don't.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty sure I'm on Chris's ignore list, but I just want to be able to send pictures via PM so if we have the technology that'd be greaaaaat.
You're not. I hope that your return to bonsai works out, and that you enjoy the process. I look forward to seeing you develop your new trees!

And yes, being able to send images via PM would be great.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please also remove Crack, Heroin, and Meth from the streets.

Sorce
Wow, that's one of the stupidest responses I've ever seen on this forum. Congratulations.

And people are liking it...

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
For what it's worth, I'd like to revive this request again.

I would like the ability to ignore an entire thread so that (at minimum), it does not show up on any "New Posts" feeds like here: https://www.bonsainut.com/whats-new/posts/, or the "Latest Posts" window on the home page.

I'd be fine if the threads still show up if I actually go to the forum in question, like here: https://www.bonsainut.com/forums/general-discussion.4/

The reason why I would like this is that I like to be able to check what's new, but when there are one or more active and low-value (to me) discussions happening I end up having to see the same thread titles over and over again. This has the potential to bury posts that have content that I find useful and/or interesting, and, TBH, turns me off from checking for new activity here.

Various considerations
  • "Just don't read them": That's what I'm doing, and I'd rather not have to.
  • "You can unwatch threads": These aren't threads that I'm watching (that I get alerts for), they are threads in the New Posts feeds.
  • "Ignore problem users": Some users who participate in threads that I want to ignore have a lot of great things to say on other topics.
  • "But free speech!": I don't want to stop anyone else from having a conversation. I'm choosing not to participate, and I'd also like to be able to choose not to listen to the conversations.
  • "Xenforo does not support this feature": Here is a plugin that promises to add this functionality. It costs $10, which I would happily pay for for the benefit of the site.
    • I do acknowledge that I have no idea how much work would go into actually getting this plugin online in this instance of XenForo, nor what it would add to the ongoing cost of maintaining the site. I'd be curious to hear your take on this point, @Bonsai Nut.

Top Bottom