Thread grafting during growing season?

Lars Grimm

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a large japanese maple that will need thread grafting of primary branches. Based on the positioning of the graft and the future branch position, I don't think approach grafts are a good idea in order to get the angle of the branch correctly positioned.

I have had good experience approach grafting in the growing season and thread grafting in the early spring before bud push, but I have never tried thread grafting during the growing season. Andrea Meriggoli's book talks about thread grafting in the growing season by first defoliating the future graft 2 weeks prior to the procedure. My understanding is that this is meant to mimic the experience of early spring, with small replacement buds on the graft.

Does anyone have any experience with this technique?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The obvious challenge is to end up with some viable buds on the exit side. If you can accomplish this, I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work. My established JM are basically finished growing for the year, but those in training will continue to respond to pruning with more growth.

The defoliation step does make some sense; as you’ll have to defoliate the threaded branch to get it through the trunk. But you wouldn’t want to stunt it more than the rest of the tree, so you may want to defoliate the entire tree if it’s really strong.

LanceMac10

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
.....yes, I would worry the tree would just abandon the branch if the rest of the tree was allowed to grow on.....why mess with your success?:)

MACH5

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have not tried this. The main issue I see is that you’re setting the process back quite a bit. First it needs to leaf out after a few weeks time and then get it to grow vigorously again. I like to conclude the process within a season. Doing it with a defoliated whip I don’t know if it will take by end of year or even cause more issues for yourself than necessary? I personally rather wait until the following spring. In any case let us know how it does Lars. Certainly doable but in my opinion not ideal.

Lars Grimm

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks all. This is a very rough stock tree in a growing box that is very vigorous. There are several apical shoots that are all shooting out which can be targets. I think I might try it with one or two branches. Worst case scenario I just redo it next year in spring. There were actually no shoots long enough in spring to even try it this year. I'll probably wire down a couple other shoots this year as well in preparation for next year. I'm also hoping that these grafts will help to heal up some larger scars.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would worry the hole constricts the scion if the whole tree is left strong. It almost happened to my ficus.

Depending on the situation, I would try cutting all but the middle lobe off and tuck it thru the graft too, leaving some... leaving.

Sorce

Lars Grimm

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would worry the hole constricts the scion if the whole tree is left strong. It almost happened to my ficus.

Depending on the situation, I would try cutting all but the middle lobe off and tuck it thru the graft too, leaving some... leaving.

Sorce
Hmm, I could get creative and just partially defoliate the scion and then use grafting tape to get it thin enough to thread.

Paulpash

Omono
Reaction score
@Lars Grimm I was thinking about doing this today - keep us updated - success or failure it will be educational.