Thread Grafting

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Should a thread graft fit 'tightly' into the hole drilled to receive it?
Also... would it be of any benefit to scrape the outer layer of bark off of the thread, in the area that the thread will be seated into the trunk?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The hole should be just big enough to pass the buds. Then one uses toothpicks, wood skewers, or the like, to fit the thread snugly against the top of the hole. Then you cover the two sides so that the cambiums on the entrance and exit sides don't desiccate (it isn't the end if this happens, just that your graft will take much longer to establish).

Scraping the bark on the thread is not a good idea as the normal damage response on a stem that thin is enough to clog the entirety of the xylem = the exit end of the thread (your graft) quickly dies of desiccation. As the thread grows, the hole you drilled acts as a tourniquet on the thread - the two cambiums find each other, make a common xylem. You will ultimately see the thickness of the thread on the insertion side is much thinner than the exit/graft side..

Shibui

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is no way you can thread a shoot through and get it to fit tightly. The buds at the nodes always sit proud of the stem so threading a shoot through a small hole will just strip all the buds off.
Hole should be just large enough to pass the buds through without damage and the thread is wedged to hold it against one side as Osoyoung has already mentioned.
I disagree about scraping though. I normally scrape a small amount of bark from the thread, just where it will be wedged against the 'out' side of the hole - aiming for callus to help unite the graft quicker than constriction. Maybe it depends on the diameter of the threaded shoot?
Regardless of removing bark, I agree that sealing the wounds will help it to heal and then unite.