Three Bald Cypress I picked up this spring

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Purchased at a nursery. Trunk chopped, and potted in mixing tub. The BC in the first picture, I cut about 100% of the roots off. I really thought it wouldn't survive. All seem to be doing well. Angled the chops and selected keeper branches. These are my first attempt with Bald Cypress.

Attachments

• 0906172025.jpg
    0906172025.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 0906171744.jpg
    0906171744.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 0906171916.jpg
    0906171916.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 65

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You seem to be on your way. What are your plans? What do you want to develop first? What do you hope to see in 5 years?

Sometimes I just stick a tree in a tub an let it grow for a few years, then I try to figure out what I want to do with it. I let it tell me what it can do.

A new project for me this year is to take 1"-3" trees and put them in restaurant bus tubs. I don't cut the tops at all. The roots are trimmed just enough to fit the tree in the pot. I get the tubs from a local restaurant supply store. The trees have about an inch of water above the soil line. They will remain flooded from March-October (early November if I'm lazy). Then the tubs will be allowed to drain through the winter. Then flood them again in March. I'm shooting for fat bases and knees. Two of the trees I started in May, when I began this project, have roots that are fattening so much that they appear to be rupturing the outer bark of the roots. Very promising result.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You seem to be on your way. What are your plans? What do you want to develop first? What do you hope to see in 5 years?

Sometimes I just stick a tree in a tub an let it grow for a few years, then I try to figure out what I want to do with it. I let it tell me what it can do.

A new project for me this year is to take 1"-3" trees and put them in restaurant bus tubs. I don't cut the tops at all. The roots are trimmed just enough to fit the tree in the pot. I get the tubs from a local restaurant supply store. The trees have about an inch of water above the soil line. They will remain flooded from March-October (early November if I'm lazy). Then the tubs will be allowed to drain through the winter. Then flood them again in March. I'm shooting for fat bases and knees. Two of the trees I started in May, when I began this project, have roots that are fattening so much that they appear to be rupturing the outer bark of the roots. Very promising result.
Have you ever planted a BC on a tile?
Ebihara style?
If so, was it effective?

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score

Thanks Bill. I've seen your videos and will make sure to flood them next year. My plans are to flat top them and do some carving. I know they have a ways to go. I chopped them in the spring and let them grow out. I decided to choose the branches I wanted to keep and cut everything else. I didn't want wasted energy.

Much thanks again for chiming in.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Have you ever planted a BC on a tile?
Ebihara style?
If so, was it effective?
If my wife ever heard me say "I'll have to try it on tile, ebihara style", she'd complain that the floor is too cold for that.

I've killed bald cypress by potting them in a shallow pot. They prefer deeper pots. As such, I don't see the point in trying this with a bald cypress. I like to see nebari develop, and I'd be concerned that growing it on a tile would lock in the depth the tree can be potted. As it is, I can pot a BC an inch higher to show off the roots.

Just some random thoughts. I've never really thought about doing this.

Now my brain is thinking about things I would not do with a bald cypress:
Cascade - REALLY? Cascade where? BCs grow near the water. If a BC falls over, it floats downstream.
Root over rock - Would involve me having rocks in my head. I live in south Louisiana. We have no natural stone, here. When the first pyramids were being built, south Louisiana didn't exist. NOLA would have been the Gulf of Mexico.
Broom style - would look dumb. I strive to critique by pointing out what can be done to correct styling issues. However, I hope I have the courage to look at a broom style bald cypress and tell the artist "You're an idiot."
Clump style - might involve me slapping someone

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If my wife ever heard me say "I'll have to try it on tile, ebihara style", she'd complain that the floor is too cold for that.

I've killed bald cypress by potting them in a shallow pot. They prefer deeper pots. As such, I don't see the point in trying this with a bald cypress. I like to see nebari develop, and I'd be concerned that growing it on a tile would lock in the depth the tree can be potted. As it is, I can pot a BC an inch higher to show off the roots.

Just some random thoughts. I've never really thought about doing this.

Now my brain is thinking about things I would not do with a bald cypress:
Cascade - REALLY? Cascade where? BCs grow near the water. If a BC falls over, it floats downstream.
Root over rock - Would involve me having rocks in my head. I live in south Louisiana. We have no natural stone, here. When the first pyramids were being built, south Louisiana didn't exist. NOLA would have been the Gulf of Mexico.
Broom style - would look dumb. I strive to critique by pointing out what can be done to correct styling issues. However, I hope I have the courage to look at a broom style bald cypress and tell the artist "You're an idiot."
Clump style - might involve me slapping someone
Hahaha!
Ten4 on that!

Top Bottom