Three bets

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So in the last weeks I have made some bets on partial or total defolation. I felt at heart that I "knew" what the results would be. My climate is fantastic, and my winter doesn´t exist, so I made these bets knowing there are no climate problems ahead.
My first bet was on a dawn redwood forest.
I bought it as a mallsai. As I got home, I saw it had an awful soil, but didn't dare to repot, as I knew nothing about dawn redwwod. After 15 days, the leaves begun to yellow. I thought of overwatering. The soil when dry didn't allow to water, and when wet, was roting the roots. I still didn't want to repot in summer, so I made this quick fix to stabilize the situation (the roots coming out of the pot were placed on akadama). And it worked, the forest rooted on the akadama base of the pot:

DSC_7704.NEF.jpg

After some months, (two weeks ago), I decided to finally repot it (I had to break the white pot not to disturb the roots on the akadama) . So finally after repoted, I had the feeling I had to totally defoliate the forest (and wire it)
And today, you can see, it's growing again:

IMG_20210905_184318.jpg
Hope to win this bet, as dawn redwood are really very scarce here.....

My second bet, was on this Operculicarya decaryi

DSC_7858 (2).jpg

I, as usual, felt that a mostly total defoliation would help. And so, 3 weeks ago, I made it.
Today, it looks like this:

IMG_20210905_184350.jpg IMG_20210905_184341.jpg

And my third bet was on these 2 pixie bougies:

DSC_7733 (2) (2).jpg

This time (1 month ago) I prunned, wired and partially defoliated. And this is it today, growing all over:

IMG_20210905_195632.jpg

As you can see I like to gamble, and follow my hunchs.
I guess I will not do this again as it's risky, but something inside me told me everything was alright.

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_184300.jpg
    IMG_20210905_184300.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Top Bottom