Three character search

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Without going into the gory details, the database language we use on the site has a problem with searches that are less than four characters in length. To fix this would require a little work behind the scenes that I will not undertake lightly, because a misstep could break the site (at least temporarily - I never do anything that can't be undone).

However there is a quick and dirty workaround. The character "*" is considered a wild character for database searches and it can mean any character including a blank. So if you want to do a search for Japanese Black Pines...

"jbp" would not work.
But "jbp*" will work.

This does NOT work for member name searches, because "*" is not considered a wild card for those searches.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Without going into the gory details, the database language we use on the site has a problem with searches that are less than four characters in length. To fix this would require a little work behind the scenes that I will not undertake lightly, because a misstep could break the site (at least temporarily - I never do anything that can't be undone).

However there is a quick and dirty workaround. The character "*" is considered a wild character for database searches and it can mean any character including a blank. So if you want to do a search for Japanese Black Pines...

"jbp" would not work.
But "jbp*" will work.

This does NOT work for member name searches, because "*" is not considered a wild card for those searches.

Thank yew* for this info!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are there any wildcard characters for name searches "?" ?

I'm having trouble with name searches right now. The way it is supposed to work is when you type the first two characters of anyone's name it should immediately prompt you with all the member names that start with those two characters. however in some cases it is not working and I don't know why... yet. I just rebuilt the database cache for all usernames and it still isn't recognizing certain member names. Very mysterious. I guess the bonsai gods are mad at some people ?

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
...Very mysterious. I guess the bonsai gods are mad at some people ?

Oh Bonsai Gods bless these trees

May they grow

Roots that never lack the nutrients they need

Nebari that spreads wide and sturdy

A trunk that is strong

Branches that will ramify and not fall off randomly

Leaves (or Needles) that are small and always get the light they need

And as always may the trees be healthy and out live us :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's probably me.

Actually, the one that I am familiar with is jkl. I even changed his member name to @jk_lewis, and the site still won't show his name in a member search - even to my admin account.

You can click on the member name and see his account, and I can type his account in manually (in admin mode) and it will come up... I just can't search for it :) His is a double-top-secret account :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, the one that I am familiar with is jkl. I even changed his member name to @jk_lewis, and the site still won't show his name in a member search - even to my admin account.

You can click on the member name and see his account, and I can type his account in manually (in admin mode) and it will come up... I just can't search for it :) His is a double-top-secret account :)
I'm glad to hear Jim's still with us in a way.
Being a little difficult too.
Nice!

Top Bottom