Three new subjects but looking for an affordable nursery of landscaping stock

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I went to a local nursery that had some very nice material, but they seemed to specialize in slow growing cultivars that were very pricey for my budget. I did pick up a few and will go back some time when I have more time to peruse. The white pine could be real nice.
79329E85-A6E0-494C-9B1C-2F052A4EF2C4.jpeg
48B2C4D2-AF7F-4F26-96A9-C9E4EC0065E4.jpeg6A4CE1DA-EE50-4C8B-B474-2F0495E4CDEA.jpeg
But, what I really want are 10 big/cheap hemlock to play around with. The wild types grow so much faster. Has anyone tried FastGrowingTrees.com ? Or aborday.org?
Here are the ones I picked up (on the left) two hemlock cultivar and an elm.766A3F7F-E6E7-4692-9209-2DCD78CF6A40.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I received my order from FastGrowingTrees. They look like nice little healthy looking hemlock, and even have some growth down low. Straight trunks of course.. I’ll post some photos tomorrow. The one thing is, I got 6 “gallon” trees and paid extra for a single 2-3’ tree. They are all in the same size pots.. maybe 1/2 gallon? And one is like six inches taller than the others. In retrospect I would have got two six packs.

I should have some fun planning on growing out these guys.. I may even make a couple shohin.

jal777

Sapling
Reaction score
695? 🧐 Dear lord have mercy on us

Unfortunately, for those of us more landscape oriented, the availability of quality and unique material, especially on the East Coast, is extremely limited and so they can command the mega bucks.

I was at a couple of retail nurseries in Oregon a few months ago and the prices were less than half of what we pay here. Large Japanese maple cultivars that cost $500+ on East Coast were $200. Specimen trees priced at $800-$1000 would easily retail for $2500 here. The conifers were a little closer in price.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I went to a local nursery that had some very nice material, but they seemed to specialize in slow growing cultivars that were very pricey for my budget. I did pick up a few and will go back some time when I have more time to peruse. The white pine could be real nice.
View attachment 456233
View attachment 456232View attachment 456234
But, what I really want are 10 big/cheap hemlock to play around with. The wild types grow so much faster. Has anyone tried FastGrowingTrees.com ? Or aborday.org?
Here are the ones I picked up (on the left) two hemlock cultivar and an elm.View attachment 456235
I was at the same nursery recently and yes I left with nothing.. couldn't believe it. I either didn't have a big enough car, or just didn't want to pay 300 for a shrub. May go back one day...did you see the 50% off section?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did not see the 50% off section. I got there right near the closing time. They were real nice and drove me and the fam around in a golf cart chasing down the Tsuga for me. I didn’t have much time to check others out, but I would think some of the parvifola would be decent underneath?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really can't speak to parvifola, but the tents on back of property have some cheaper stuff, some with damage or dead parts... choose wisely. There are some very young JBP with severe wire bites and other neglected trees, seems like the young kids maybe had some fun and forgot about them? But some of the prices there didn't really resonate... oh well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These 7 seem to all have growth down low and I doubt they will have a lot of straight trunk below the surface. The were growing in those little peat sacks which were transplanted into the larger pots. I may have to do some work to straighten out the roots to approximate a traditional nebari.
A couple of them looked a little one sided as far as branch distribution, I was thinking I might try twisty juniper style for those if anyone has any tips or links for contorting straight stock.
For the rest I was thinking clear out some of the middle growth and start designating sacrifice. Repot into flats in the Spring, with distributed roots, and let them do some escaping from the flats to speed development?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I ended up getting these three(?) for $60. The selection at Sun nursery wasn’t in the best health, but I think this had some movement for literati. I may need some thread grafts to get the foliage and branches in the right place.201D5ECC-40ED-462C-8048-041E4D1D0052.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You ar right about the big ones though. They did have some big boys well out of my price range. Likely to big and straight for bonsai.
It is possible if rare to find them at the end of season sales at box stores, at least it was a few years back, but it requires some luck and a lot of patience and keeping your eyes peeled.
I’m thinking that for the small ones I may keep them small at least for a while and try to get a compact design and the roots straightened out early. I can always grow them out once I have some sacrifice growth designated.
I don’t know if it is possible to make a sumo shohin, but it would be fun to try.

Top Bottom