Three tips on Jaboticabas

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Do you mist the leaves? If so how often?
I never mist my bonsai.
None.
They are outdoors 100,% of the time and they get rain, morning dew, and are watered once or twice a day.
I only mist the roots when repotting in the Spring and the temperature is high.
I don't think misting the leaves makes any difference, and in the Winter if the leaves are wet in the evening, the trees get fungal issues. So, no.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
We saw some really big ones at the botanical garden this winter with fruit. Such cool trees!
They are so cute!
Here in Sao Paulo the city in the fifties planted a lot of natives in the parks and some avenues, it is very nice!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Clicio, how old is the tree?
I bought it two years ago from a Japanese friend who owns a nursery, and he says it was with him for at least seven years.
So I am not sure, but I guess 12 to 15 years old.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A native of the wetlands of southern Brazil, Jaboticabas are one of the most sought after fruiting trees for bonsai in tropical countries.
So if you like them, here it goes:

1-) They love wet feet, as much as Wisteria, and their roots can never dry out or they die. A wet tray under the pot (with pebbles) is needed in the summer.

2-) They hate winds, so protect them from drafts. Their leaves get dry very quickly, beginning at the tips.

3-) They need a high organic content in the soil. Draining, but organic. Much more than trees in temperate regions.

BONUS: They need between 10~15 years to begin fruiting in nature; so trees from air layers or big cuttings are needed if one wants to grow them for the fruits.

View attachment 316608
View attachment 316609
Thank you for sharing real information. There is such a void when it comes to real, down-to-earth cultural information about our trees, especially trees foreign to the majority of us, that it is simply amazing that we can grow them at all. I've had J's for many years and they have been not very happy. I have been treating them like regular trees in smaller pots. I will move mine to a deeper pot (like most of trees which are over-potted) and I suspect it will grow like it's supposed to. Obrigado, Senhor @Clicio

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any idea what was the reason for it to die?
I hate when trees die in my hands, but it happens.
I live in Arizona would be the short answer. Just could not create a suitable microclimate before it succumbed to the heat.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They are so cute!
Here in Sao Paulo the city in the fifties planted a lot of natives in the parks and some avenues, it is very nice!
I bet that's wonderful. Pretty sure I'll never make it to Brazil though.:(

Mvpunv

Seed
Reaction score
The leaves on my Jaboticaba weren’t looking too good around late spring / early summer so I decided to take the risk of defoliating the tree completely in hopes that it would grow back vigorously... and I am happy to say that it is looking more alive than ever!

Here is the before and after pic.60A1DE2D-AAC0-4180-8011-A7917A75363A.jpeg

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Clicio Any tips on getting them to back bud. This one had gotten some thick branches so I cut them back hoping to get some new growth. That was two weeks ago. Perhaps leaving the rest of the plant alone hurt my chances.
20200718_120317.jpg
20200718_120319.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@Clicio Any tips on getting them to back bud.

Ah, they do backbud when chopped, specially if it is warm and in the Spring. @leatherback took one from Brazil to Germany with no leaves at all and it sprouted many new branchlets some weeks after settled in Europe.
May be a matter of patience I guess.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For me, it continues budding. I am rubbing buds away from the trunk!?

Full sun? Fertilized, growing crazy?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make sure you are NOT rubbing away the flowers, otherwise no black fruits...

hm..
Did not think about that. THat is how out of this world this species is!

Do the flowerbuds look like regular branch buds, pointed and double-budded?

Top Bottom