Three Tree Freebies

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got 3 yardadori creeping junipers, another one had no roots and was discarded. My guess would be theyre ~25 years old
The foliage is blue-ish and its not "stabby" so Im thinking theyre some kind of sabina group junipers

The roots arent great. Are junipers able to grow new feeder roots ok?
Soil recommendations? I dont use akadama or pumice but I have pine bark and perlite and I could get some volcanic grid
Thinking about mixing in garden soil too

Should I cut off a lot of foliage so they dont dry out?
Place in half shade for a month?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8781.jpg77703.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like horizontalis.

I would not remove anything and see how they perform this summer. With this little roots, they might not make it. So I do recommend keeping them in the shade for the entire year and misting often.

Sweet curves!

Edit: no garden or potting soil. It'll suffocate the roots because you'll be watering them a lot to compensate for the damage.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was in a hurry so I already cut back a lot, barerooted and potted in mostly pine bark with some peat. I will update later this year when its clear which if any survive

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was in a hurry so I already cut back a lot, barerooted and potted in mostly pine bark with some peat. I will update later this year when its clear which if any survive
Lots of luck with that. Oh well:rolleyes:.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I had a hard time deciding what to cut but I focused on narrowing the canopy, removing branches inside bends etc. If they survive Ill post pictures

I found it extra difficult because I know there are really trippy contorted junipers that defy many rules and look good

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the one I showed previously is pretty much dead, another one is in limbo and the following one is healthy, grew some new foliage and nice roots and has already been repotted. Its the one that had the most roots when collected.

Dont know how to turn it into a bonsai though

jun1.jpg
jun2.jpg
jun3.jpg
jun4.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Junipers are very slow to decide whether to live or die after transplant. Mid summer usually sorts out which transplants are going to survive so I guess that one is OK.
Still way too early to start doing any work as there will still be few new roots. Generally wait a whole year before starting to do any more on collected junipers.
Just concentrate on encouraging as much growth as possible to grow lots of healthy new roots.

Top Bottom