three tree shimpaku forest or ??

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have been working on this one for about 2 years. All three trunks do come from one trunk somewhere beneath the soil but not sure where. Hoping that each have their own root system started. This was the smallest of the 10 cuttings I started going on 5 years. Wiring is sloppy.20160310_194609.jpg 20160310_194804.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The plant hanging to the right makes me see this on a hill.
The tree, or trees,play along.

I like it.

Sorce

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree! I'd say triple trunk or raft/clump before forest. Do you know what the root base situation is?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hoping that each have their own root system started.

I would either make that a separate planting as is or incorporate it with some larger. I am pretty certain separating them will not work out - most likely would kill them... They really do not do well in general with root work and most people rarely repot them for that reason for 7 years or more. Could be a nice planting - hate to see it dead.

Grimmy

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yea I am thinking of letting them grow out. Just wanted something to do one day so I wired them up. Just one of those back burner type projects

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
back burner type projects

It's better than back burner IMO.
aviary-image-1457705642426.jpeg
* I don't think you'll need much size difference for these outside 2. If this is bent a little "cascading", should keep it smallest.

The middle is already bigger, a little more would help.

If these grow like they say they do....
And you're in the land of eternal growing?

It won't take long!

I dig it!

Even if you expose another 2-3 inches below the soil.....I think it will still look good.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
P.s.
I'd kill for such workable branching!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would either make that a separate planting as is or incorporate it with some larger. I am pretty certain separating them will not work out - most likely would kill them... They really do not do well in general with root work and most people rarely repot them for that reason for 7 years or more. Could be a nice planting - hate to see it dead.

Grimmy
Shimpakus separate easily, especially at this age and stage of development. I find Shimpakus, at least Kishu's, take to major root work in their stride.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Shimpakus separate easily, especially at this age and stage of development.

It may be but it would take at least a year to recover with no other work - they hate that here and no clue why. I can tell you a lot of ways to kill them all taught to me by my Wife - she killed so many over the years she asked me to stop getting them for her. Mine do ok...

Grimmy

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Nice tree! I'd say triple trunk or raft/clump before forest. Do you know what the root base situation is?
Nope. Haven't uncovered them since planting. They are still growing well, meaning the 5 year cuttings, and draining decently so I'm not in a hurry to repot. This winter I will pop one of the several cuttings out to review the roots. All of the other cuttings aside from this one are 15-20 year trunk building projects

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It's better than back burner IMO.
View attachment 97415
* I don't think you'll need much size difference for these outside 2. If this is bent a little "cascading", should keep it smallest.
Nice idea sorce. I may just have to dig down this winter and see what I find. They are overgrown right now so tightening them up is a priority
The middle is already bigger, a little more would help.

If these grow like they say they do....
And you're in the land of eternal growing?

It won't take long!

I dig it!

Even if you expose another 2-3 inches below the soil.....I think it will still look good.

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What's the deal with Pennsylvania?

I suspect we have a longer growing season then you, like the difference between here and Alabama. I have quite a few growing down there as well. Just saying here 3 cuttings in the same pot for 5 years = a lot of root especially healthy ones in Nursery mix and full Sun.

Grimmy

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Potted this one up. Took about 30 percent of the roots so no work on the foliage until next year. It will look good once tidied up

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I know it's not much but it's cool to actually have something in a bonsai pot and not training pot, which is 90 percent of my material

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know it's not much but it's cool to actually have something in a bonsai pot and not training pot, which is 90 percent of my material

Actually looks pretty good ;) And serious I understand as all of our pots have not been in use for over a year except 1 or 2 that two tropicals are in. All of the other stuff is just growing as test plants. Looking forward to using some next year if all goes good.

Grimmy

Top Bottom