Three tree slab - Japanese Maple

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Early this spring I found I had three standard Japanese maples with similar movement in the trunks, so I decided to try a slab with them. Looks like they survived the process just fine. I had to cut back already this year. Now there's just chops to heal, branching development, etc. But I think they already look pretty good on that slate. Any suggestions?

J maple slab.jpg

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
it has a wild look (Wind...)

how did you "fix" the soil from falling down with watering ?

For information, Ryan Neil uses long sphagnum moss fibers + akadama to maintain the soil on the slab ->
-----capture-ryan73.jpg
-----capture-ryan74.jpg
-----capture-ryan76.jpg
the result ->
-----capture-ryan83.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice .

I think you can move it left further.

So the leftmost one starts around that cinch in the rock, and it's roots are in that leftmost pocket, and the other 2 begin right of the cinch.

Extending your moss further right to keep that landscape.

Just get it in the left 3 Rd...

Unless of course you will eventually make the canopies have that leftward movement, the just extend the moss left.

I wanna see the whole thing.

It's like a tease except she's just hiding a warty toe or something, uncomfortable!

Sorce

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
on the middle tree, on the crown you have kept too many branches… With time, you'll have reverse taper -> i would cut on the left to let only 1 crown and 1 branch (on the right side)

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
on the middle tree, on the crown you have kept too many branches… With time, you'll have reverse taper -> i would cut on the left to let only 1 crown and 1 branch (on the right side)

Yes you are right. I will soon go back and be more selective

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would place a character rock to the left to give the impression that the wind was whipping around that rock forcing the trees to the right. Also the composition does need a bit more weight to the left and the rock would help here. Or you could ship the planting to the left as Sorce says.

Top Bottom