Three tree Western White Pine, P. monticola, yamadori first wiring.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I look at the after. I wouldn't have seen it in the before.
So many no-nos, like two parallel wiggling lines ... and even a third following the same path. Ooooo ...

But, I like your result.
Thanks for opening my eyes to what can be done with material like this, @PaulH!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oso just about covered it.

Just adding another hint of amazement !

Real nice!

Sorce

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Really nice tree(s). Culture wise, are you treating it as you would a JWP?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I dig it! I like the way the left and right sides dance with each other.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Unique material. I'm not sure if the collected root system would allow for it, but I'm wondering if the tree could be tipped a bit to the right or the left a bit- I'd vote to go right- to give a more mother-daughter sort of feel to it.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Unique material. I'm not sure if the collected root system would allow for it, but I'm wondering if the tree could be tipped a bit to the right or the left a bit- I'd vote to go right- to give a more mother-daughter sort of feel to it.
Agreed.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am impressed. This is the first Montacola I have seen as a bonsai. I remember the tree from the years I lived in Northern California and looked for these trees that I could harvest. This is very nice and has a good potential. At some point I think you are going to discover that you can preserve your image with less.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
How is it back budding for you?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
At some point I think you are going to discover that you can preserve your image with less.
I agree. If I get backbudding I'm hoping for I can build foliage and replace the extra branches.

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected this white pine at Mammoth Mountain in 2013 and today I wired it for the first time.

Nice tree!
Any chance this tree could be Pinus albicaulis (whitebark pine) instead of P. monticola?
They are very similar and this growth habit seems more like the albicaulis type.
Best way to tell the difference is by cones.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks! I did a little reading and I think you are correct. Next time I'm at Mammoth I'll look for cones to be sure.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice first styling Paul and I do like the angle you show (post #9) next repotting season.....its hard to tell from just the one photo but have you considered keeping some negative space (from base to top) between the two dominant groups......could add some visual tension. Up hear the Whitebark are subalpine to alpine (very high elevation) species and unfortunately :(, the White Pine Blister rust is spreading throughout its range. Good luck with yours.
Cheers Graham

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:eek:Fortunate indeed if you found such a good White bark. A great start you have made. Leaned right with main apex going to right instead of straight up looks much more pleasing. Perhaps once lower trunks are lowered the main apex could go to right even more. Agree also that the 2 smaller trunks might look better coming lower to the ground. Whichever species it is treat for blister rust on general principle of survival.;)

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:eek:Fortunate indeed if you found such a good White bark. A great start you have made. Leaned right with main apex going to right instead of straight up looks much more pleasing. Perhaps once lower trunks are lowered the main apex could go to right even more. Agree also that the 2 smaller trunks might look better coming lower to the ground. Whichever species it is treat for blister rust on general principle of survival.;)

Have you successfully treated white pine blister rust? If so what did you use?

Top Bottom