Thrift Store Stoneware Find

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Picked this up at the thrift store for a couple bucks a while back. Thought it'd make a nice pot for accent plants or a shohin at best.

Flick it and it sounds like stoneware to me- low, solid tone but not a hollow thunk- and the color/finish appears to be a light brushing of oxides of some sort (this is based on my very limited knowledge gleaned from here). One way or another, it's really nice handmade work. I'd say professional grade even. I'd almost hate to ruin it, but I can't say if the manufacture is food safe, so that limits my other options.
So I figured I'd ask here before drilling holes in it. Web search didn't give me anything substantial. Anyone familiar with this signature, or can tell me about work/technique itself? It'd be much appreciated.
IMG_20220606_085752_740.jpg
IMG_20220606_085829_411.jpg
IMG_20220606_085856_437.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The ring at the base of the container the lighter is sitting on could make good drainage difficult

D.Y.I some feet or the equivalent to raise it some so the water can flow freely?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The ring at the base of the container the lighter is sitting on could make good drainage difficult

D.Y.I some feet or the equivalent to raise it some so the water can flow freely?
Good point. Hadn't thought of that.
Maybe some of those little rubber no scuff dots will do. Elsewise, take my Dremel with a cutting wheel and make some channels in it.

Top Bottom