Thrown Together Pot forest

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We'll see what happens with these 5 trees. The funny story is that i was looking through the garden bed, and the small three in the middle were all connected! They all had one little root ball! I just found the two big ones, and decided a mama and papa bear wouldn't be bad to have around. Endless possibilities! What would you do with these maples? 🤔 And yes, that big guy in the back is a twin trunk 20200409_140313.jpg20200409_140324_HDR.jpg20200409_140318.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you know what kind of maples they are? They look like they might be a big un, like sugar, silver etc. They don't look like red and their not Japanese. What I would do hinges on this.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you know what kind of maples they are? They look like they might be a big un, like sugar, silver etc. They don't look like red and their not Japanese. What I would do hinges on this.
I was hoping you guys could tell me this. Here is big momma! 20200409_152249_HDR.jpg20200409_152257_HDR.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it drops its seeds in the spring, is that correct? I so that would make it a red or a silver maple. The young leaves look like a silver maple. No offense intended but I wouldn't even let a silver maple grow in my yard. I certainly would not personally spend any time on trying to make a bonsai of a silver maple. It just doesn't have a thing going for it. Just my opinion.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like it drops its seeds in the spring, is that correct? I so that would make it a red or a silver maple. The young leaves look like a silver maple. No offense intended but I wouldn't even let a silver maple grow in my yard. I certainly would not personally spend any time on trying to make a bonsai of a silver maple. It just doesn't have a thing going for it. Just my opinion.
Do you only say this because of the leaf size? Has anyone had any good experiences with a silver maple? If so, post your pictures! This is what I had in my yard so that is why I'm collecting them.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am sure it can be done but It has too much going against it to peak my interest. Yes, the leaves are large, but probably can be reduced. The internodes are long and straight. The wood is very weak and brittle. Very very messy short lived trees that usually fall apart.
Having said this and showing my total disrespect for this tree, I hope you prove me wrong and end up with something worth keeping. But I am not holding my breath.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am sure it can be done but It has too much going against it to peak my interest. Yes, the leaves are large, but probably can be reduced. The internodes are long and straight. The wood is very weak and brittle. Very very messy short lived trees that usually fall apart.
Having said this and showing my total disrespect for this tree, I hope you prove me wrong and end up with something worth keeping. But I am not holding my breath.
Wouldn't expect you to. This is just the shitty material I've got. Maybe I'll make it into something decent, probably not. Haha just entertaining myself in this hobby of ours!

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've decided they probably will never become anything as bonsai. Even the ones I've put years into. Its going to be so hard just to forget about them, and not waste my time. My whole goal is to have at least 5 or more very nice trees by the time I'm done. I've got an acer rubrum I am keeping my eyes on. Although everyone says it is a no go, I have seen nice examples. I need to invest in some nicer material so I don't waste hours and hours of my life on worthless trees (for what I want them for). Would you keep that acer rubrum around just for bragging rights if it becomes nice? 😜

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've decided they probably will never become anything as bonsai. Even the ones I've put years into. Its going to be so hard just to forget about them, and not waste my time.

Whether it is a waste of time or not is your own decision, and no one else's. I think @penumbra nailed it: From a forestry/arboriculture perspective, silver maples are trash (but they do grow fast), and for bonsai, they have challenges, but don't let that stop you. From my limited bonsai perspective, I know that I'm learning a lot even messing with inferior species, and if I'm learning something and enjoying myself, that's not wasted time, especially if it was free or dirt-cheap material to begin with.

Would you keep that acer rubrum around just for bragging rights if it becomes nice?

Check out this red maple by @ABCarve https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/32-year-old-acer-rubrum.42520/

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Silver Maples have red/pink flowers.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Whether it is a waste of time or not is your own decision, and no one else's. I think @penumbra nailed it: From a forestry/arboriculture perspective, silver maples are trash (but they do grow fast), and for bonsai, they have challenges, but don't let that stop you. From my limited bonsai perspective, I know that I'm learning a lot even messing with inferior species, and if I'm learning something and enjoying myself, that's not wasted time, especially if it was free or dirt-cheap material to begin with.

Check out this red maple by @ABCarve https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/32-year-old-acer-rubrum.42520/
Just pure beautiful. I have been learning alot, and I'm just starting to think, why do so much work on a tree that will never be showable? I myswell get nicer species of trees, so I can have something to be proud of and show off. Especially to justify where my mornings, and evenings go! I may just plant all my silver maples in the tree line, and tell myself I helped the environment! This is a great hobby, and you can bet I will regret not working on trees that will become very nice in the years to come. I feel like Acer Rubrum would not be a waste of my time, and under the right care, will be a very impressive beautiful tree just like the one from that thread.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Here is a silver maple that I got as a seedling from my FIL from his yard. I am ground layering it this year with a tourniquet, then plan on using clip and grow to get it into a rough broom style in a larger tree. I dont really care about the leaf size all that much, I like the way the foliage looks. I wont style it like a normal bonsai, more of a naturalish tree in a nice flat pot :)

F2DA68EB-CCFF-464D-AD9B-9CBC1E9E6CF6.jpeg
69E5A532-E9C4-497E-8D17-AB457AFDD863.jpeg
F4F1850C-E8EA-4A55-A231-C6DAFEFBB716.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m kinda in the same boat. I just like watching things grow. If it’s from your yard it’s pretty cool.
As far as silver maples go, I have many little saplings that keep poking up. The material may never make great bonsai, and I’m not putting them in expensive soil or pots.
but can still experiment on it and see what happens. May have some interesting results
Would b cool to see bonsai with all those helicopters hanging off of it!

Let em grow and think big!
The Leaves are also big but they are pretty.
Have fun

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now is the perfect time for Silver Maple.

No need to worry about going home so just go huge!

Sorce

Top Bottom