THUJA OCCIDENTALIS #2

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A collected Eastern white cedar that I have been prepping to be worked on next spring. Originally acquired from Suthin over two years ago. It was fully wired at the time of purchase but were removed altogether in the fall of last year. This year it has been growing freely for the most part in anticipation of a complete restyling next spring. Mauro Stemberger will be here at my place next April. I would really like the chance to style this tree, but if I don't have the time, I may give it to him to work on.

Here are a few photos of it as a teaser. It is roughly 25" tall from soil level with a 10" trunk. Eventually it will get a much better pot as well.

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
Well, ...killer-naterial. Nothing less than this ... .
You do right, Sergio.
A good example for:
"The best raw-material is even good enough to start from.
Use the best you can find (and afford)..."

With your skills you'll bring this tree to the very top.
The best T. O. I have ever seen! Congrats ...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There you go again, cornering the market on great bonsai material! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Looks really happy to be in your yard.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
incredible tree! I can't wait to see once it has been styled, do you happen to have any pictures of it styled by Suthin?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, ...killer-naterial. Nothing less than this ... .
You do right, Sergio.
A good example for:
"The best raw-material is even good enough to start from.
Use the best you can find (and afford)..."

With your skills you'll bring this tree to the very top.
The best T. O. I have ever seen! Congrats ...

Thanks Arnie! I know you are a fan of them as well. Good material of course makes a big difference if handled correctly. I hope you are well my friend.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's a beautiful thing even before styling, imagine the image after... It sure is healthy in your garden.
This post reminds me to let my trees have a year off every so often. I think too many of us don't do that.

I agree Judy. It looks like a wonderful stunted tree as is. But once it's wired and designed, it will give it a sense of scale that will elevate this tree to the magic that is bonsai.

One thing worth noting. This tree has a natural taper all the way up its hefty trunk. No drastic cuts on this one. Super stunted by nature herself.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
incredible tree! I can't wait to see once it has been styled, do you happen to have any pictures of it styled by Suthin?

Matt, unfortunately I never took a pic when I purchased it. One thing I can tell you. Although the tree was wired, Suthin had it growing sort of freely and not looking much like one of his "typical" trees. He had the other side as the front. At the moment I like this one even better. But I guess you can say it has two good fronts.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Really nice tree! Looking forward to what you do with it.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really feel like we are seeing the beginning of thuya starting to gain ground in the bonsai world. It helps when artists like you can show people their true potential.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Chunky AND a full head of hair!! Too many positives but let's see... great deadwood with visible life lines, thick and powerful trunk with good branching down low and high up, and an incredibly full and healthy canopy... this tree is built right! A stunner in the making...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really feel like we are seeing the beginning of thuya starting to gain ground in the bonsai world. It helps when artists like you can show people their true potential.

I agree. Many are starting to pop up at major exhibitions. When it comes to thujas, I think the Canadians are leading the pack. Some spectacular trees are coming from there. In fact, last year at the 6th US National, a huge thuja from the Montreal Botanic Garden took one of the top awards. The tree pictured below.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.56.55 PM.png

Photo courtesy Bill Valavanis.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Chunky AND a full head of hair!! Too many positives but let's see... great deadwood with visible life lines, thick and powerful trunk with good branching down low and high up, and an incredibly full and healthy canopy... this tree is built right! A stunner in the making...

So.... I take you like the tree?? 🤣

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
OH MY GOD.

The yin / yang is so strong. I’m in awe.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fantastic tree. What State was it collected in? Do you know if it was a lakeshore tree, like most of the best thuja?

I agree. Many are starting to pop up at major exhibitions. When it comes to thujas, I think the Canadians are leading the pack. Some spectacular trees are coming from there. In fact, last year at the 6th US National, a huge thuja from the Montreal Botanic Garden took one of the top awards. The tree pictured below.

View attachment 263798

Photo courtesy Bill Valavanis.

This one has a complicated cross-border history ;) It was collected on the Niagara Escarpment in Ontario, cared for and styled by Nick Lenz (see Bonsai From the Wild), then donated to the Montreal Botanical Garden, and now it has made quite an impression in Rochester.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fantastic tree. What State was it collected in? Do you know if it was a lakeshore tree, like most of the best thuja?

@Cosmos It is not from Aaron (Lakeshore) although he has some fantastic collected thujas! This tree was collected in Vermont. Unsure as to who actually collected it, but Suthin told me he bought a bunch from him. My other large thuja below also came from the same collector.

IMG_9253_zpsgnwlnk6s.JPG

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Cosmos It is not from Aaron (Lakeshore) although he has some fantastic collected thujas! This tree was collected in Vermont. Unsure as to who actually collected it, but Suthin told me he bought a bunch from him. My other large thuja below also came from the same collector.

View attachment 263819

Super, thanks for the answer. I meant lakeshore in a geographical sense, but Lakeshore/Aaron does have some of the best thujas around ;)

Here is the oldest recorded thuja in Québec, from way north, estimated to be between around 1000 years old. It is from a very dry and cold lakeshore (an island, actually).800pix_vieux_cedre.jpgvieux thuya abitibi.jpg

Top Bottom