Thuja occidentalis from stock - cold tolerance

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
(I took that video to show you how I treat branches..

They can be fanned just like juniperus...

Just MAKE sure your foliage is at least fifty-ONE percent oriented "upwards"..

If you wire thuja foliage upside-down, the branch will die back until "correct foliage)

In terms of keeping vertical foliage, I'm seeing other threads (@mattspinniken, and see attached) where the fronds are wired flat or even suggested to cut vertical foliage. Were they just temporarily flattened for presentation?

Attachments

• 2015FALLTBS.jpg
    2015FALLTBS.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 29
  • WEB_TBS_FALL2018-047.jpg
    WEB_TBS_FALL2018-047.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
  • WEB_TBS_SPRING2017-061.jpg
    WEB_TBS_SPRING2017-061.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 23
  • WEB_TBSFALLSHOWFINAL-44.jpg
    WEB_TBSFALLSHOWFINAL-44.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 23

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hehe!

Pa iksitii aen naami!

As you learn about coniferous (and most others, realistically) "TinyTree development"... You will discover that most vertical, up OR downwards, growth, that truly leaves the trunk OR branches in these directions... Is simply cannon-fodder and pruned away!

(I'm curious if you type in what I said at the top, if Google would translate it)

Here's a tad more explanation.IMG_20230320_130235.jpg

IMG_20230320_130348~2.jpg

Also there is a bunch of darn good Bonsai YouTube channels.. you'll find "what you like"..

But I BOTH strongly recommend watching the Mirai:Beginner series, IN FULL to beef up your foundational knowledge (I watched these NOT as a beginner and found the wisdom contained therein to be superbly beneficial)..

AND a channel called "Growing Bonsai by Jelle"... Fantastic stuff, gorgeous trees and really does a great job of TEACHING the learner/viewer the concepts contained.

🤓

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hehe!

Pa iksitii aen naami!

As you learn about coniferous (and most others, realistically) "TinyTree development"... You will discover that most vertical, up OR downwards, growth, that truly leaves the trunk OR branches in these directions... Is simply cannon-fodder and pruned away!

(I'm curious if you type in what I said at the top, if Google would translate it)

Here's a tad more explanation.View attachment 477729

View attachment 477730

Also there is a bunch of darn good Bonsai YouTube channels.. you'll find "what you like"..

But I BOTH strongly recommend watching the Mirai:Beginner series, IN FULL to beef up your foundational knowledge (I watched these NOT as a beginner and found the wisdom contained therein to be superbly beneficial)..

AND a channel called "Growing Bonsai by Jelle"... Fantastic stuff, gorgeous trees and really does a great job of TEACHING the learner/viewer the concepts contained.

🤓

(It didn't translate haha)

Thank you for the additional tips. I already knew the theory and aesthetics of which branches to cut etc, my question was specific to thuja foliage though. Am I really going to harm the tree if I wire the foliage flat? I ask because I'm confused from what I've seen in other threads and images of completed trees where nearly everything is layered flat

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(It didn't translate haha)

Thank you for the additional tips. I already knew the theory and aesthetics of which branches to cut etc, my question was specific to thuja foliage though. Am I really going to harm the tree if I wire the foliage flat? I ask because I'm confused from what I've seen in other threads and images of completed trees where nearly everything is layered flat

The tree's foliage..

When you flatten a section by hand, you can see that layers of it ARE flat, and line up like that... The foliage is just "droopy" when it is a "pre-branch".

You end up, WHEN READY for creating branch ramification, removing quite a bit of foliage.. basically selecting...

Oh.. ok!

I think I understand what you mean!

If you have a branch that looks like this...IMG_20230320_133605.jpg

Its not ACTUALLY vertical-facing growth... Just twisted to get the light...

You can totally twist it "back" .. just make sure it's the correct way! 🤣IMG_20230320_133657.jpg

(But before the twist, the growth on this "line" remains upward-oriented, and will be removed)

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
The tree's foliage..

When you flatten a section by hand, you can see that layers of it ARE flat, and line up like that... The foliage is just "droopy" when it is a "pre-branch".

You end up, WHEN READY for creating branch ramification, removing quite a bit of foliage.. basically selecting...

Oh.. ok!

I think I understand what you mean!

If you have a branch that looks like this...View attachment 477731

Its not ACTUALLY vertical-facing growth... Just twisted to get the light...

You can totally twist it "back" .. just make sure it's the correct way! 🤣View attachment 477733

(But before the twist, the growth on this "line" remains upward-oriented, and will be removed)

Ah! Okay. So you're saying that the foliage in the attached image isn't necessarily "growing" vertically, the tree has just turned the foliage at an angle that catches the most light? The branches will still have upward/downward secondary branches that need to cut for aesthetics, but I can lay the lateral branches flat without damaging the tree? Is there a clear color or difference between the "top" and "underside" of the foliage?

Sorry for beating a dead horse. I'm excited to get in there, I just don't want to kill the tree because of my ignorance with the species.

Attachments

• 20230319_132445.jpg
    20230319_132445.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes, each little flat section is a pad...and HAS a top and bottom "face"

While all thujas will do this to SOME extent, A lot of "fancy thuja" or "Nursery arbovitarae" cultivars/stock are more prone to this trait as it lends itself to an attractive, yard cone in no-time.

The wild ones here actually send long "weeping" foliage until their strength and quest for sun straightens them.

🤓.

If you are anxious, take it slow...

One dude, who has an affinity and real gift for "staging down trees with patience" and is familiar with thuja is @Eckhoffw ..

Not sure if he's in this thread yet, but I'm sure he could help offer some insight ('mongst the others we 'summoned')

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

While all thujas will do this to SOME extent, A lot of "fancy thuja" or "Nursery arbovitarae" cultivars/stock are more prone to this trait as it lends itself to an attractive, yard cone in no-time.

The wild ones here actually send long "weeping" foliage until their strength and quest for sun straightens them.

🤓.

One dude, who has an affinity and real gift for "staging down trees with patience" and is familiar with thuja is @Eckhoffw ..

Not sure if he's in this thread yet, but I'm sure he could help offer some insight ('mongst the others we 'summoned')

Because it's important not to JUST listen to ONE lunatic!

🤣 ;)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No, you've been so helpful! These last comments especially clicked

Absolutely!

And I do, HAPPEN, to not be a TOTAL lunatic!

Buuuut there's no way for you to know that! 🤪

Just trying to promote transparency and "listening to/learning multiple sides/theories/approaches.. before assembling your own"... It's a living art, and we all express differently. So finding your "voice/brushstroke" is important (In my opinion).

Soooak it all in....

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Look into Penjing/Penzai.. and how the idea/presentation differs from Bonsai (If you haven't).

Check out "Hon non Bo" (If you have not)

Different regions of the world vary in their tiny tree presentation, as well,due to local species, climates and cultural influence.
(Spain, Indonesia, and south America have real interesting "things" going on recently)

Just avenues to explore if you were unfamiliar.

🤓

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for the late answer . Your in a bit of a pickle but not to bad . As others have said . There is no doubt . It’s not been outside in zone 4 from the colour mainly . ( nursery cultivars are mostly improved colour ) but they all get degrees of olive drab to downright ugly think it’s dead in the winter . They are tough trees . But need to be transitioned like others into dormancy . I think the bonsai shuffle is your best bet . Outside full sun during the day . And in un heated shed at night until . It’s above freezing during the night . I’m betting it won’t miss a beat . Maybe sulk a slight amount waking up in spring . Then just start growing . Not sure what your plans are visa repotting . Fairly confident I would leave it alone root wise this spring . Just slip pot it into a larger pot . With some coarse soil . Leave it alone to acclimatize to your yard , if it grows healthy mid summer give it a hair cut . To get some light inside to promote interior growth . Do not do not cut it back to bare wood leave green . Shoots I would be conservative this first summer . Repot into bonsai soil next spring . You could attempt the repot this spring but . Considering the situation it may not like it . .

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

🤓.

Thanks for the kind words, 😊

I think you’ve hit on a lot of good points with thuja in general.
In regards to foliage, like @HorseloverFat mentioned, different sub species are going to make The biggest difference in regards to pad tightness.

I have maybe a half a dozen different thuja I’m messing with. The ‘ DeGroots Spire,” and my ‘Hertz Midget,” have foliage 1/3 the size of the others.
Ones collected from nature + less tampered with species, can have extremely long leaves.

As others may have mentioned, design your tree to scale with the size of the foliage.

As far as vertical leaves, I try to wire them to a near flat plane over time. Like 2 wirings. I’ve heard more than once that they don’t like their leaves being twisted away from the position they’ve found optimal for light absorption. That said, once they are in a pot, that position will change fairly regularly anyways.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your researching bonsai info . Hinoki Cypress had almost a cult following in the bonsai world . Any info in Hinoki will transfer almost 100 percent to thuja . Hinoki has tighter foliage . And can be grafted to thuja . The trees very closely related .

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This thuja was dug from my parent yard.
It got damaged from another fallen tree in a wind storm.
Long foliage, it will stay larger, so I will keep it rather big.
E0F3466E-2266-427C-A748-060593440E0F.jpeg
C9A1F0B0-3650-4DC7-B031-F330273CBAD3.jpeg
This tree was potted up in a sawed down recycled bin. Left to grow for a year with only minimal guide wire, and structural wiring, and some dead wood carving.
It’s looking pretty shaggy as of now, but I hope to loosely form the pads this year. 3938BF85-7C79-4136-B1F1-D51C11250518.jpeg

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Sorry for the late answer . Your in a bit of a pickle but not to bad . As others have said . There is no doubt . It’s not been outside in zone 4 from the colour mainly . ( nursery cultivars are mostly improved colour ) but they all get degrees of olive drab to downright ugly think it’s dead in the winter . They are tough trees . But need to be transitioned like others into dormancy . I think the bonsai shuffle is your best bet . Outside full sun during the day . And in un heated shed at night until . It’s above freezing during the night . I’m betting it won’t miss a beat . Maybe sulk a slight amount waking up in spring . Then just start growing . Not sure what your plans are visa repotting . Fairly confident I would leave it alone root wise this spring . Just slip pot it into a larger pot . With some coarse soil . Leave it alone to acclimatize to your yard , if it grows healthy mid summer give it a hair cut . To get some light inside to promote interior growth . Do not do not cut it back to bare wood leave green . Shoots I would be conservative this first summer . Repot into bonsai soil next spring . You could attempt the repot this spring but . Considering the situation it may not like it . .

Thanks for the advice! I had settled on the "shuffle" idea for the next several weeks. We may get lucky and have consistent temps above freezing soon.

I was not planning to repot or do any root work this year, but I am anxious to do some pruning and styling. I removed a handful of small (sucker?) shoots from the base with new branch cutters, and there are 3 nice trunks. Given the arrow-straight trunks, I'm thinking formal upright / sankan style with maybe slight movement in the trunks. Ultimately, I would like to have a break and deadwood features in the largest, main trunk.

The foliage pads seem pretty big, so this means that I should keep the trees fairly large as well? Last I checked, there seems to be a decent amount of budding near the trunks, so could I try to encourage and maintain smaller foliage moving forward?

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
This thuja was dug from my parent yard.
It got damaged from another fallen tree in a wind storm.
Long foliage, it will stay larger, so I will keep it rather big.
View attachment 477788
View attachment 477789
This tree was potted up in a sawed down recycled bin. Left to grow for a year with only minimal guide wire, and structural wiring, and some dead wood carving.
It’s looking pretty shaggy as of now, but I hope to loosely form the pads this year. View attachment 477787

Looks like it will be an awesome try with the refinement! Honestly, the three vertical trunks look very similar to what's hiding behind the foliage in my tree. Will you be bending those vertical primary branches down to shape the pads or just the secondary branches?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the advice! I had settled on the "shuffle" idea for the next several weeks. We may get lucky and have consistent temps above freezing soon.

I was not planning to repot or do any root work this year, but I am anxious to do some pruning and styling. I removed a handful of small (sucker?) shoots from the base with new branch cutters, and there are 3 nice trunks. Given the arrow-straight trunks, I'm thinking formal upright / sankan style with maybe slight movement in the trunks. Ultimately, I would like to have a break and deadwood features in the largest, main trunk.

The foliage pads seem pretty big, so this means that I should keep the trees fairly large as well? Last I checked, there seems to be a decent amount of budding near the trunks, so could I try to encourage and maintain smaller foliage moving forward?
When they are young like that . They bend very easily . So other styles are very doable . With that material . They are apical dominant especially a cultivar like yours . Most likely a narrow upright , once it’s established healthy like I said you can cut it back to interior growth . To keep the foliage tight . Requires intensive patient determined . Pinching the new growth . You may want to consider . Trimming part of the tree back like one or 2 of the trunks and slowing the other to grow as a sacrificial . To thicken the trunk and base . This is a common practice in bonsai . You create a trunk and basic structure first

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Dumb question 😅 : how can I distinguish the underside versus the top of the foliage? Supposedly there are glands on the bottom, but I'm having a hard time seeing them. I wouldn't want to wire a pad upside down haha

Top Bottom