Thuja occidentalis 'Primo'

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
While in Saint Louis area, visiting my parents. Yes, even old farts such as myself sometimes are blessed (or cursed) with parents that are still alive. My folks are 90 years old each, mostly blind, and some dementia, but otherwise relatively healthy. They live in a care facility near Clarkston Rd and Clayton Rd, Ellisville MO. On Clarkston Road, between Manchester Road and Clayton Road is Timberbend Nursery. What a delightful nursery to visit. Nicely laid out, well staffed and full of interesting surprises for a jaded plant person such as myself.

At a reasonable price I found a one gallon (6 inch diameter, or 15 cm diameter) nursery pot of

Thuja occidentalis 'Primo'

The plant is roughly 25 cm (12 inches) tall from soil to top. Trunk is 12 mm in diameter, that is roughly half inch diameter, and appears to be cutting grown. That is one of the great things about Thuja and closely related Chamaecyparis (Hinoki), they can be propagated by rooting cuttings, which makes small bonsai possible. A quick feel in the dirt seems to indicate a fairly radial root system, just barely below the surface of the soil in the pot.

It appears to be a nice, densely budding dwarf or even miniature form of the normal form of Thuja occidentalis, sometimes called eastern white cedar, though it is not a true cedar and eastern refers to eastern North America. The Conifer Society website says it was a seedling selected in 2004 by Isle Nursery. It grows about 5 inches per year, which makes it a dwarf, not a "miniature".

I first saw the cultivar 'Primo' at a bonsai show in Royal Oaks, Michigan back in 2018 or 2019. I did a double take, as it really looks like a cultivar of Hinoki. But I was reassured by several there that indeed it is a cultivar of Thuja occidentalis. So when I saw 'Primo' at Timberbend Nursery, I knew I had to pick it up.

I don't know what I will do with it. Pot it is in is more than large enough for a year or two of additional growth. I did clean out some dead leaves. It grows very dense, and seems to shade out interior growth. I would assume it is no different than the normal form in terms of being unwilling to back bud on stems that have developed brown bark. For most forms of Thuja, once the stem matures from green to brown, back budding is no longer likely. It happens, but rarely and not predictably. For bonsai design purposes, it is best to assume there will be no back budding on stems old enough to have brown bark.

So this is my latest find. If anyone has experience with 'Primo' please share. I would love to know more about it.

IMG_20210407_123702980.jpg IMG_20210407_123729478.jpg IMG_20210407_123746480.jpg IMG_20210407_124016688.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My plan in the future is to winter this Thuja the same way I winter 3 other Thuja in my collection. I simply set the pots on the ground for the winter. I'm in zone 5b, northern IL. It is routine to experience -17 F for a night or two in winter. That is roughly -27 C. Thuja have been hardy here, without extra protection. I will assume the 'Primo' will be roughly the same. Bonsai life is easier if one does not have to provide heat over the winter to your trees. This one should be quite winter hardy.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great find. Timberwinds is an EXCELLENT nursery. MJ (the bonsai guy that you likely spoke with) is a good buddy of mine. Sad i missed your visit!

I did not have much time this visit to Saint Louis area, I only had a half hour to browse the nursery. Luckily the rack with the one gallon pots was in the middle of the main walkway. As more people get vaccinated, I would happily meet BNuts at Timberwinds, or at the Missouri Botanic Garden, or I might try to attend a Saint Louis Bonsai Society meeting, once meetings are in person again.

I'll post the next time I have a visit long enough to have 3 or 4 hours for "bonsai visiting".

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How’s the thuja doing . I only have wild collected curios how the wintering went . Outside in 5b I assume ok . I winter mine in un heated building . Zone 4 they are very cold hardy . But froze in small pot can be damaged it outright killed by winter wind . Older plants seem more sensitive

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice, OL!

I missed this one!

🤓

If you get a moment...
can we get a close-up foliage shot?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Conifer Society website says it was a seedling selected in 2004 by Isle Nursery. It grows about 5 inches per year, which makes it a dwarf, not a "miniature".
I'm not sure how you get 5 inches a year out of these, as mine grew maybe 2 inches at most, probably less. They are charming little plants.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
they sound nice . My. Main interest is in finding . Smaller foliage tighter ramifications. Cultivar . For grafting onto wild collected stock . If you end up in a situation where you need to graft . Why not use better foliage 🤷‍♂️. Up here I have seen incredible tight small foliage wild trees . Especially from wind tortured sites . And or small grow space . But I know no one myself included that can . Keep them growing like that in captivity

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
they sound nice . My. Main interest is in finding . Smaller foliage tighter ramifications. Cultivar . For grafting onto wild collected stock . If you end up in a situation where you need to graft . Why not use better foliage 🤷‍♂️. Up here I have seen incredible tight small foliage wild trees . Especially from wind tortured sites . And or small grow space . But I know no one myself included that can . Keep them growing like that in captivity
Agreed!.. the ones that live half the year under frozen water are also "similary tortured"..

Any stand-alone bluff or "crag" thuja will have way "tighter than average" foliage... at least around here... Great Lake Breath. 😂

I've noted this "cold wind stress" phenomenon on Picea and Tsuga locally, as well.

Reaction score
@Leo in N E Illinois - just wanted to know how are the primo doing ? Have you performed or plan to pinch these in spring to allow ramification ? Any plans of pruning so as to allow light interior ?

Sorry am just a newbie and if these are stupid questions - pardon me .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Leo in N E Illinois - just wanted to know how are the primo doing ? Have you performed or plan to pinch these in spring to allow ramification ? Any plans of pruning so as to allow light interior ?

Sorry am just a newbie and if these are stupid questions - pardon me .
No such thing as a stupid question. That is intelligently asked 😎😎

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Since I saw this species mentioned on this forum I've been lookin for a seller within the EU but unfortunately I haven't found any.
If somebody knows a seller within the EU please tell me because I would like to start with this species.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My specialty nursery has 3 and 6 gallon . Primo ordered . I have first choice in the spring on 6 gallon . Plus I’ll probable get 1 or 2 3 gallon . This is all speculative if they arrive . They are a iseli distributor but very hit and miss since Covid . About 50 to 60 percent . Getting better plus Canadian governent inspection process has been increased . Goal is parent tree as a bonsai eventually . And grafting stock for collected wild trees .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since I saw this species mentioned on this forum I've been lookin for a seller within the EU but unfortunately I haven't found any.
If somebody knows a seller within the EU please tell me because I would like to start with this species.
I feel your pain the importation of a live tree from another country . Is complicated to the point only doable at the nursery level . Unless it was a very special finished bonsai . The tree is a Iseli nursery introduction they are a large commercial grower on USA north west coast . I would try to find a nursery deals with them and then you should be able to pre order some for next year . That’s essentially what I have done

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I found a website of a Dutch grower that mentions Thuja occidentalis ‘Primo’.
The species is part of their Superior Collection, see the pdf in the link below.
Link: https://www.sierteeltkwekerijkools....bestanden/superior_collection_flyer_kools.pdf

They state they have the European grow rights for this species.
I've emailed them two time to ask about the species and if the sell it to custommers of otherwise if they could pont me to a reseller of the species.
But they didn't reply back to me and maybe they have to grow the species first for a few years to be able to sell them.
Nevertheless I would love to have some of this species to work on the coming years.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a website of a Dutch grower that mentions Thuja occidentalis ‘Primo’.
The species is part of their Superior Collection, see the pdf in the link below.
Link: https://www.sierteeltkwekerijkools....bestanden/superior_collection_flyer_kools.pdf

They state they have the European grow rights for this species.
I've emailed them two time to ask about the species and if the sell it to custommers of otherwise if they could pont me to a reseller of the species.
But they didn't reply back to me and maybe they have to grow the species first for a few years to be able to sell them.
Nevertheless I would love to have some of this species to work on the coming years.
Hope that works out for you . Best cultivar I have seen for Thuja O. Un equaled in compact foliage . And very nice bright green colour . The combo is key . Wild collected trees have the best trunks and great deadwood potential . But the worst foliage colour . As stated before cold and wind tortured trees have impossible . To keep in cultivation compact foliage . Colour improves with care and feeding but still gets ugly quick in the fall .

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I lost mine before end of 2021, neglect on my part. Never set a small nursery pot between several much larger pots. You will not notice the small pot has dried out if the big pots are still moist, especially if the bigger pots partially block your view of the small pot.

Top Bottom