'Thuja orientalis' is actually 'Platycladus orientalis'

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Ever since I bought a 'Thuja orientalis', I thought I actually had a 'Thuja'. It was also sold as "Arborvitae' Berkman's Gold", which I'm aware is a cultivar which is said to grow up tp 15 feet (although some claim less). Some are also sold as 'Platycladus orientalis 'Aurea Nana', which is also supposed to be able to grow up to 15 feet. What I often read is that they are very seldom left to grow that tall because they are mostly used as hedges or shrubs. I have, however, seen full grown ones in Florida, and some are definitely at least 15 feet or more tall, and they could very well be the "Arborvitae' Berkman's Gold" variety:

400px IMG_1011.jpg

'Platycladus' is actually a distinct genus of evergreen coniferous tree in the cypress family Cupressaceae, containing only one species, the 'Platycladus orientalis', also known as Chinese thuja, Oriental arborvitae, Chinese arborvitae, biota or oriental thuja. It is native to northeastern parts of eastern Asia and north Asia.

I'm glad I found this out because I always thought I had a Thuja, and most videos I see in YouTube with this nursery shrub are not really Thujas but 'Platycladus orientalis'. Here's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platycladus

When they're young they look conical or columnar, but as they grow older they lose that appearance. The article I linked has several images showing how they look in the wild in Asia.

I feel a bit odd that I ended up growing this variety as a bonsai because it's not a really a Thuja occidentalis. The reason it's so popular in Florida is that it likes warmer weather. To be honest, however, I'm really not concerned and just enjoy it anyway.

I think that probably the most accurate popular name it has is 'Thuja orientalis', although now I know it's really 'Platycladus orientalis'.

Attachments

• 300px IMG_1207.jpg
    300px IMG_1207.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I never knew that, thanks for sharing! I find plant taxonomy very fascinating and like to learn about different genera and species, and how they all relate to each other.

Looks like Thuja, Platycladus, and Juniperus can all be grafted together, that's so cool!

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I never knew that, thanks for sharing! I find plant taxonomy very fascinating and like to learn about different genera and species, and how they all relate to each other.

Looks like Thuja, Platycladus, and Juniperus can all be grafted together, that's so cool!

Yes, apparently that's what must have happened, that they were grafted at some point. I suppose all this hybridization can make these cultivars even more hardy and resilient, at least I've observed mine is.

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Don't be mistaken, the conifer family line is diverse and it has been that way for millions of years. Because that division has happened so long ago, it's very likely that they differ enough to be incompatible.
I'm not sure grafts will take and hold very well. But it would be fun to see somebody try!

The platycladus is a popular ornamental plant here in Europe, where it easily survives -20 degrees C. I've been thinking about using them for bonsai, but the foliage pads tend to be very wavy, which in my opinion makes it hard to find a good form to express it's natural traits.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
The platycladus is a popular ornamental plant here in Europe, where it easily survives -20 degrees C. I've been thinking about using them for bonsai, but the foliage pads tend to be very wavy, which in my opinion makes it hard to find a good form to express it's natural traits.

Another downside they have is that they are extremely slow-growing.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
400px IMG_1235.jpg

These are more images of what could be Platycladus orientalis Berkman's Gold when full grown. The above image shows the unpruned one and the image below shows the pruned, both more than 15 feet tall.

400px IMG_1261.jpg

Reaction score
Don't be mistaken, the conifer family line is diverse and it has been that way for millions of years. Because that division has happened so long ago, it's very likely that they differ enough to be incompatible.
I'm not sure grafts will take and hold very well. But it would be fun to see somebody try!

Long time since any activity on this thread but seeing as I can't find much about it anywhere else I'll share the Platycladus I've developed and refined over +/- 7 years - very difficult to get those wavy pads to grow upright naturally again once you've styled / wired so it tends to do well with a mix of clip & grow and writing to set structure
Would be nice to hear some opinions on this seeing as it's been nearly 6 years on this thread

Attachments

• 20230829_154137.jpg
    20230829_154137.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 21

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up one this spring. Platycladus orientalis Beckmans Gold. Had a unique bend in the trunk. Did some minor wiring. Lost a some fronds due to extended heat. Plan on a repot in early Oct. Looks challenging to get some style into it.

Attachments

• 20230411_144625.jpg
    20230411_144625.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom