Thuja (Sunkist Arborvitae)

CLbonsai86

Sapling
Reaction score
First wiring on this Thuja I picked up early spring at the nursery. Just got a chance to wire it and I must say I like the potential. And please excuse the unconvential guy wires, and wiring in general, as I’m a newbie, and it’s just an extremely enjoyable hobby for me. Any thoughts are appreciated!! Thank you for looking!

Attachments

• 61EF3526-EDFD-406B-B148-A6F944B1A2D8.jpeg
    61EF3526-EDFD-406B-B148-A6F944B1A2D8.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 42

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There's a free, high quality, wiring demo on Etsy by Colin Lewis, you have to sign up, but it is free once you register, the url was posted in several recent threads. Watch the tutorial, try to do it on a couple random branches you cut off a tree in the landscape. After that, you can look at your Thuja again, you will know what to do. I applaud your enthusiasm.

Thuja, are North American native cousins of the Hinoki cypress, Chamaecyparis obtusa. Most everything written about Hinoki is more or less true for Thuja. This includes that they are very reluctant to back bud. Once a stem is old enough to develop brown bark, once it is no longer green, it will not produce any new active growth , no buds that will suddenly grow on a stem once it turns brown. This makes Hinoki and Thuja a difficult tree for someone new to this hobby. But both are lovely as bonsai, and are really good species to learn how to grow and control.

You tree is young, it needs a much larger diameter trunk to look tree like. I would just leave it as it is (it would be okay to rewire it once you finish the Colin Lewis tutorial). Don't prune anything else off. Get it back outside now for the winter. Thuja is very cold hardy. In spring, the goal will be to keep it growing. Sun and fertilizer will be all you need to do until late June or early July. It is very important to keep any little sprouts that appear along the trunk. These will become the future branches of your bonsai. It is a nice cultivar of Thuja you picked to work with.

CLbonsai86

Sapling
Reaction score
There's a free, high quality, wiring demo on Etsy by Colin Lewis, you have to sign up, but it is free once you register, the url was posted in several recent threads. Watch the tutorial, try to do it on a couple random branches you cut off a tree in the landscape. After that, you can look at your Thuja again, you will know what to do. I applaud your enthusiasm.

Thuja, are North American native cousins of the Hinoki cypress, Chamaecyparis obtusa. Most everything written about Hinoki is more or less true for Thuja. This includes that they are very reluctant to back bud. Once a stem is old enough to develop brown bark, once it is no longer green, it will not produce any new active growth , no buds that will suddenly grow on a stem once it turns brown. This makes Hinoki and Thuja a difficult tree for someone new to this hobby. But both are lovely as bonsai, and are really good species to learn how to grow and control.

You tree is young, it needs a much larger diameter trunk to look tree like. I would just leave it as it is (it would be okay to rewire it once you finish the Colin Lewis tutorial). Don't prune anything else off. Get it back outside now for the winter. Thuja is very cold hardy. In spring, the goal will be to keep it growing. Sun and fertilizer will be all you need to do until late June or early July. It is very important to keep any little sprouts that appear along the trunk. These will become the future branches of your bonsai. It is a nice cultivar of Thuja you picked to work with.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond! I appreciate the information and will keep everything you said in mind!

Top Bottom