Thuja Yard Waste Site dumpster find...worth it?

Is it worth it for the learning experience?

• No, toss it on the burn pile you damn fool.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Yes, it could be a good experience with carving and back budding.

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So I tend to keep my eye out for recently dug out material at the yard waste site to take home and see if it hasn't been sitting too long to live. Last year (or the year before) I found this Thuja variety laying there, brought it home and threw it into the biggest pot I had. Been in there untouched since. So as I reanalyze yard space/stock do you see anything here worth keeping? Or should that be part of the creative challenge? I think when I saw it I noticed it had back budded in the crotches it looked like and saw the multiple trunks as a chance for practice carving down the road. Am I crazy or do you see something worth the time/effort here?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one has as much, or more potential than the ones in the ground IMO.

I gotta stress the "it's already in a pot" thing again....

And the fact that it is already in a stage you will be attempting to have the others survive thru in the future.....

Getting it into a pot, and drastically reducing it....

So unless the ones in the ground all have excellent Nebari, that you are certain you can safely transfer to a pot....

This one is at least 10 years ahead of the game.....

It presents a difficult design challenge...

But that challenge is still less difficult than the others' paths ahead.

At least for me....
And my horticulturally challenged exisitence!

Sorce

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thats a leverite tree.

Leverite where you found it.....
It was a quick whim pick up due to the size & then a look back on, why'd I grab this. Same reason @sorce woukdve, it was free! @Smoke & @Bonsai Nut & @Wilson are right, too many trunks close together, no nebari that I'm aware of. If nothing else, I'll chop it down further, stick it in the ground in my garden & see if anything develops with the idea that I'm probably going to kill it but a 1% chance something interesting develops. Most likely I just chuck it as I dig it out of the pot.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Unless you don't have room for it just leave it be and see what you get. In a few years the low branches may develop enough to do something with.

You already took the effort to pot it up. How much more real work is it going to need over the next few years.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
don't kill it, plant it in the ground somewhere - but yes you have enough stuff and this isn't worth it

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
i walked by it this afternoon & thought of an experiment rooted in logic that may or may not be flawed. I cut off all the top growth leaving anything below a foot intact. I just sawed off all the trunks. I remembered Brent Waltson's article http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/growprin.htm (I think this is the one), essentially trying to see if it would then use up the energy/food stored through winter to extend that lower growth or push new growth. Either way, I'm going to not touch it the rest of the summer except for water and fertilizer. Essentially taking a flyer on it. Not in the way where the pot is.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
IMG_5834.JPG
Here's where it will stay to see if anything happens. "Maximum effort" as deadpool would say. Lol about a minute with the handsaw.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a vision for the high foliage.

Now.....

I am with the throw it out crowd!

Or burn it!

"Did I leave the oven on?"

Lol!

Sorce

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had a vision for the high foliage.

Now.....

I am with the throw it out crowd!

Or burn it!

"Did I leave the oven on?"

Lol!

Sorce
Sorry but the high stuff was too far up & trunks too thick to try for a literati.

Top Bottom