Thunderhead BP-Need help with whorl carving

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Too bad you missed John Romano, he’s a good guy. I assisted him teaching a JBP workshop at the National Shohin Show.

Jonas at BonsaiTonight has good stuff available in the shopping section of www BonsaiTonight.com. He’s been a Boon student for 20 years. I’ve purchased several trees from him.

It sounds like your area would be suitable for JBP, just give them extra protection in the winter. They love hot summers!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No offense ment. I'll amend it to pine noobie. :)

It is just too often that people get bent out of shape when they are told valid criticism. It was refreshing to see someone take it graciously.

The hard part of learning bonsai on the internet is distinguishing the good from the bad info. Both get equal bandwidth. If you stick with reputable sources you are usually good.

For JBP listen to @Adair M . He will not stear you wrong. Jonas over at bonsai tonight has some great info. The best is finding someone in your area to learn from.
Nope, none taken. I am a newbie really. I do things wrong with everything I do LOL :)
Being the 1st thread I'd started on BN, I did want to give a touch of history. I'm better at woodworking, but do that wrong too.
Self taught can only go so far, and the wealth of wisdom here, I'm ashamed of my futile efforts as compared.
Your compliment jeanluc meant a lot. Thanks again.

Yes I can see Adair is one to follow. Seems like a swell guy too. Most probably are but his work appears to be like the '63 Corvette I've always dreamed of.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Too bad you missed John Romano, he’s a good guy. I assisted him teaching a JBP workshop at the National Shohin Show.

Jonas at BonsaiTonight has good stuff available in the shopping section of www BonsaiTonight.com. He’s been a Boon student for 20 years. I’ve purchased several trees from him.

It sounds like your area would be suitable for JBP, just give them extra protection in the winter. They love hot summers!
Awesome, you know John. I've met John and Tedi (sp) there in Bellingham, but just as a shopper passing through ya know?
I got this Shimpaku there in 2008. And when I checked out
they were surprised at the $20-25 price tag. I think it should have been a lot more and maybe mislabeled but they let me take it at the steal no qualms.

full

Some reason I lost the procumbens. I like to think it was a dog leak and not at my hand lol.
I was fortunate to be there when this Bougainvillea was in bloom...
full

It's on 2x6's for size comparison. Just the pot is huge.
Striking aye? Anyway, that's just one of a handful of displays I've encountered in my lifetime. Not many.
I have lived a sheltered life :)

Will check out Jonas offerings, and yes BP and WP do quite well here in ground. I've had one in pot ~12 yrs maybe.
Was mailed to me free of charge, from a nursery that supplied Lowes from Cal. I called asking for one, but they're wholesale only.
Can you believe, they just sent me one, a twin trunk (I removed one) at no charge, no sh/h. Nice folks still in this world.

Top Bottom