Tibetan cherry?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Has anyone seen or had experience with tibetan cherry as bonsai? The bark on them are gorgeous however I have not seen any bonsai versions of this tree. Wondering if theres a reason for this or just that its very rare to see.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Prunus serrula - Tibetan Cherry - not to be confused with Prunus serrulata - the Japanese Cherry.

You are right, it is not often seen as bonsai. I'm in zone 5b near Chicago, half way to Milwaukee, you don't see them around my area as landscape plants either. Just looking at the wikipedia page, they suggest it is fairly susceptible to fire blight and a number of other diseases. In addition, while Wikipedia says it is hardy through zone 5, I would not expect it to be hardy north of zone 6.

But I have never tried to grow one. I am just speculating. Anyone with real world experience with this species want to comment?

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
According to RHS it is hardy in all of northern Europe and Britain( hardiness rating H6) . Its a small tree occasionally grown here in British gardens and has beautiful peeling coppery red bark, yellow autumn colours and small white spring blossom Like othe Prunus species it may be affected by silver leaf, bacterial canker and blossom wilt but unlikely Fireblight which doesnt normally affect Prunus

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone seen or had experience with tibetan cherry as bonsai? The bark on them are gorgeous however I have not seen any bonsai versions of this tree. Wondering if theres a reason for this or just that its very rare to see.
I'm looking into purchasing one. I have a bit of a fascination with rarely used Species.. I came across your thread researching the topic. It's pretty rare that bonsai nut doesn't have much to offer these days so that makes me even more intrigued!! So I have a couple of contacts with rare tree dealers so I'm on the case!

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update... just got a Tibetan cherry tree in the mail.. boy did they know they where the only people in the game cuz that was the smallest seedling I've ever gotten from a nursery or anywhere or that I've considered collecting. But amazingly you can see a glimmer of that copper bark already.... hold up let me pull out my magnifying glass hehehehe...

Attachments

• 16701276515634190655687176646338.jpg
    16701276515634190655687176646338.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom