Tibetan Elm / Ulmus microcarpa

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this species. I have one, also rooted some cuttings last year and since I cant fieldgrow right now, they grow faster than I know what to do with. Ive not much dealt with Field Elm but the leaves of the Tibetan Elm are similar I think, theyre not hard and shiny like those of Chinese Elm. Never seen a Siberian Elm up close so cant compare to it.
Maybe someone has a larger specimen? Mine is just 2y.o..

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This interests the hell out of me...

Such little REAL info available... and this search "turned me onto" Ulmus Lamellosa as well.

But back to that Tibetan Elm..

Any idea what it's hardy to?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree has changed my mind about it. Its enjoyable to work with. I was considering discarding it but instead I cut it up and in the process I noticed the wood is very clear, easy to cut, and where i cut earlier the end of the stump had dried back nicely.
I will take many cuttings. Thoughts on forests with straight trees? Or should I give all of them a bit of movement?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really more of a bush.

All of this grew from a 3cm high, 1cm thick stub this year in second flush after extreme cutback in May or so, which is also when I put it from a 1 gallon into the raised bed, no root disturbance. Not pruned since

elm full.jpg

elm above.jpg

elm trunk.jpg

The below picture is a great example of natural leaf size reduction from primary to secondary to tertiary branching leaves:

elm leaf size reduction.jpg

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From what I read this is a recent introduction into USA and was discovered in a sub tropical area of Tibet( never knew they had one) please take many cuttings, surprised you were able to buy one

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The tree has changed my mind about it. Its enjoyable to work with. I was considering discarding it but instead I cut it up and in the process I noticed the wood is very clear, easy to cut, and where i cut earlier the end of the stump had dried back nicely.
I will take many cuttings. Thoughts on forests with straight trees? Or should I give all of them a bit of movement?
dont think ive ever known an elm that wasnt a pleasure to work with. small leaves that can reduce, extreme ramification, vigorous, grows fast, forgiving, back buds profusely on old wood, even sends out buds from the cambium when chopped, layers easily, propagates from cuttings easily, whats not to enjoy lol

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive chopped it back and now have a thousand cuttings. Do elms fuse?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well then I might try a fusion project or two

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
well then I might try a fusion project or two

Their roots fuse easily, as well... I know this is a "Duh" thing, given that BonsaiNut already said "Yes.."

But just consider it at repot times.. when you're "doing up" root cuttings.

🤓

Top Bottom