Tie Pot

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have seen this pop up in my feeds lately, looks to be a new type training pot available that has points for to tie off wires and designed to air prune.

https://tiepot.com/en/

The website is still under contruction but the home page has a lot of info on it. Looks to be only available in the EU for now but surely some of the retailers would ship to the US.
Either way I think they look interesting and for 12 euro it is not too much for what they are. Beats cutting down nursery pots and poking holes in them at least.

1527671069292.png
1527671304324.png

Random User

Reaction score
Priced right, they might be handy.

I girdle my pots with one heavy wire first and then tie everything to that wire... it's a bit of a PITA to get the process started, and I always have to account for how many wires I may possibly need to finish the job (to leave enough slack to pass the wires between the pot and the girdle wire.

With this pot, once they were tied down, they'd be pretty secure.

Personally, I'd prefer an even lighter colour, but at least this one anyway, isn't black.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I don't think I would go out of my way to order one but I may add one to an order if I was buying more stuff from a retailer, just to get it to a round number type of thing. If they can cut the price of them like air pots have done over time then that would be good.

I agree too that as a gift it would be nice, if I received one I'd be happy at least.

On the site they have a pic of a spruce in a different shaped and colour pot, it looks not bad. Hopefully they will extend the range.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The design seems well thought out, and I like the size. Hopefully they are able to ramp up production and lower the price.

I don't see any details the type of plastic they are using. Even if they could get the price to, say, US $10, I would want to know that the material is sufficiently weather hardy (UV + freeze + thaw) to last a few seasons before I'd make the jump.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be frank -

after trying air-pots.

We returned to growing trough [ ground growing ] and
oversized plastic bonsai pots.

I am sure one really needs anything else.
Good Day
Anthony

Random User

Reaction score
The flaw in your thinking Anthony, is that not everyone owns the property they are currently living at (as we've likely read in the forums), they may be subject to having to move at a time that is not ideal to dig anything up. And, like you and others have pointed out, there is no one-size, one-method, one-philosophy for growing anything especially when we take climate and zones into account... if I could buy them here, I'd get 20 to start with, but they'd have to be 1/2 the price-point they are right now... I think they'll be a hit if they can find a market with sufficient density... a indiegogo type drive to raise capital might be exactly what these people need, like the Flow Hive people did in 2015...

https://www.honeyflow.com/about/about-flow/flow-story/p/122

Jensen

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I´m Jens, the one who makes the tie pots, and I hope it´s o.k. that I write some things here.

Stone Lantern is planing to bring a couple of the pots to the 6th National Bonsai Exhibition in Rochester, so whoever is there can have a look at them.

I´m really sorry that I can´t make them much cheaper! I´d love to, but at the moment I can´t.
I also want to make some different sizes soon.

What I can offer for the U.S. is a kind of introductory price of 10,-€, I think that´s 11,70$.
Shipping is expensive, but for certain amounts it might make sense: The Austrian Mail offers a cheap but slow (up to 3 weeks) service and if a parcel is just under the next weight limit the price is not so bad.
For these certain amounts (4, pots, 9, 22 and 54) I can offer to pay half of the shipping costs.
So if anyone is interested now, just contact me an we´ll figure it out.

@ Starfox: On the picture with the spruce, that´s a ceramics pot I made with a mold. I´m just testing some structures on the inside that should lead to air pruning but are invisible from outside ... that might be interesting some day.

@ Sparklemotion: The material is UV-protected Polypropylene. The dark color also is a certain protection against UV.

The material is also much thicker than most training pots (the walls have up to 4,3mm on the upper edge. So I expect them to be very long lasting. I had to make them so thick to get them stiff enough, so you can pull hard on the knobs.
(Thinking of business it´s probably stupid to make them so strong, as they will not have to be replaced for many years. But personally I love that!)
I don´t expect any problems with freeze and thaw, polypropylene is perfect for being outside in winter and the shape allows expanding ice to move out.

Thanks to everyone for the discussion!

Jens

Top Bottom