Tiger Bark beginnings

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Got this from Wigert's a couple of days ago. Just put it in the ground after the last picture, will keep an eye on wires. Planning on an informal upright, close to double the size that it is now. This thread will allow me to organize it's progression. Questions, concerns, critiques, cautions always welcome.

Attachments

• photo 1 (9).JPG
    photo 1 (9).JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 88
  • photo 2 (9).JPG
    photo 2 (9).JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 88
  • photo 3 (6).JPG
    photo 3 (6).JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 90

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice little tree.for an informal upright you may want to loose the aerial roots. Keep us up to date.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good start. I would have been tempted to wire the branches down more. It would make sense with a ficus with aerial roots considering the branch growing and sagging down.

I wish I lived in the right climate to just plant my ficus in the ground.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Good start. I would have been tempted to wire the branches down more. It would make sense with a ficus with aerial roots considering the branch growing and sagging down.

I wish I lived in the right climate to just plant my ficus in the ground.
Thanks!
And I wish I could keep Larch, Japanese Maples, etc! ;)

I hear you on the branches being further down though. I was strongly considering pushing these down more, but the more I look at the big ficus locally I see that (for the most part) a lot of the branches show upward growth before sagging down, or often continued upward growth and still pumping out aerial roots. Once aerial roots are shot out of branches the branches in general stop sagging, the aerial root begins to act as outer support and the branch doesn't have to fight gravity very much anymore.

This tree has been manicured by humans some, but it's still a decent example of what I'm talking about. :)

Attachments

• fig.JPG
    fig.JPG
    593.8 KB · Views: 46

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I also am curious about ficus being grown in the ground. Would it be possible to keep documenting the growth on this one? They grow fast in pots, I can't comprehend how fast they grow in the ground.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'll update with pictures in a couple of months.

Top Bottom