Tiger Bark Ficus Loosing Leaves?

Reaction score
Hi! I’m new to this group. I found it when searching for help…

my small tiger bark bonsai (still in original planter and same moss) has been losing leaves. Now, I messaged the vendor who sold me the tree. He is a very reputable seller and cares for his plants very well so I felt confident in buying from him. When I messaged him, I asked what could be wrong with my tree. He said I’m probably over watering it. So I stopped watering it, now I’m only watering it once a week with some gentle mists on the moss and top grounds of the planter. I have noticed some new growth which is great!! My question is…

what should I do about the dead looking side of the tree without any new growth or leaves? So I trim is all back or just leave it as is. The new growth area has had one singular leaf drop from this spot(leaf what dark green and a touch of yellowing near the leaf stem. It fell off like the others, easily.
Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 25

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
From the looks of that set up my first inclination is that the plant is staying to wet for too long. The moss and the rocks on top are holding moisture in.
what did you say the soil mix is?
Ficus normally lose Old leaves for new growth but this looks like sections dying off.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As Forsoothe! posted above, please post your location. If it is summer in your location you need to get this tree outside and into a better soil mix. Ficus, although sold as "indoor" bonsai, they are not... they tolerate it, but would be much happier living outside as long as day/night temperatures don't fall below 40 degree F. And they love full sun.

Top Bottom