Tiger bark ficus struggling after repot

BonsaiJames1986

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Im looking for help in figuring out what is wrong with my ficus. I repotted it a month ago and its started dropping leaves. I didn't fertilizer it until a week ago and it continues dropping leaves. It has new growth but the canopy is becoming thin. I dont see any noticeable bugs in at except when I water it i notice very small bugs around the surface of the soil. I have not been able to identify them but they have been present here amd there since I started the hobby a year ago. The root prune was not excessive. This was the second repot for this tree. I have it in a greenhouse at 70 degrees with 12 hrs of light a day. I repotted only when roots became rootbound and overgrew pot. I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 0330211322a.jpg
    0330211322a.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 0330211321_HDR.jpg
    0330211321_HDR.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 91

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus are notorious for dropping leaves when something changes. It looks a little yellow, but not all that bad. I think I see new shoots and leaves coming out at the branch tips? Your soil looks good. I'd just continue to feed and try not to stress about it as long as new growth looks normal.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks a bit dry. I’d wager that more frequent watering would help a lot here.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Seems very early to be root pruning ficus. We find they respond much better to repotting in warm weather when they are more active but I assume these have enough heat to keep active.
Agree with @BrianBay9 that some ficus are prone to drop leaves after any change including root prune. Usually they grow back strongly a few weeks later.

Small bugs around soil are usually fungus gnats. The larvae live in the soil and can do some damage to roots. Peroxide drench is effective and safe for people and plants.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems very early to be root pruning ficus. We find they respond much better to repotting in warm weather when they are more active
I'll be repotting some ficus sometime this season.

If mine have been under a 600w MH since mid January and have been pushing good growth, can the time frame be moved up for repotting or is it still better to wait?

Hopefully I'll be able to leave them outside in the next few weeks, but should I still wait for summer to repot?

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have never had to grow ficus indoors so I don't have the experience. we repot in summer because that's when the trees are actively growing here and they react better to root pruning. I guess that as long as the tree is actively growing it should react well to root pruning even if it still indoors.

I have noticed a definite slow in growth when ficus are moved from one place to another. I guess it takes a few weeks for the leaves to adjust to changed light levels, etc. I would avoid repotting immediately before or after moving.

Maybe some ficus growers who do keep trees indoors for winter would like to make suggestions?

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have never had to grow ficus indoors so I don't have the experience. we repot in summer because that's when the trees are actively growing here and they react better to root pruning. I guess that as long as the tree is actively growing it should react well to root pruning even if it still indoors.

I have noticed a definite slow in growth when ficus are moved from one place to another. I guess it takes a few weeks for the leaves to adjust to changed light levels, etc. I would avoid repotting immediately before or after moving.

Maybe some ficus growers who do keep trees indoors for winter would like to make suggestions?
I grow this (below) ficus indoors in winter and outdoors in summer. This pic is from the fall - I just moved it outdoors for summer.

Ficus Microcarpa is not a "dramatic" variety - they don't tend to drop their leaves even with major changes in environment or repotting. I'll even keep mine outside near freezing temps. I don't use any special conditions in winter - just a north-facing bay-window. I agree that generally repotting should be done in summer when there is vigorous growth, but if your getting better growth under the MH light, then I wouldn't think that would matter much. I've done winter repots and pruning, mostly because I made a mistake that I had to try to fix when I was very green to bonsai. I wouldn't suggest it, but the tree also bounced back when I made that error.

I like the idea of a drench and making sure it is watered enough. Under those lights with coarse soil, especially after a repot, it might need daily water without fertilizer.

IMG_20201212_122518 (2).jpg

Top Bottom