Tiger Bark Fiscus - Suggestions

stevenpollock

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello, This plant was given to me and has not really been touched for 15 years. It's too big and leggy. I would really like to prune or cut this back. Any suggestions as to what I could accomplish with this plant or how far back I can cut. The branches are long and leggy with no evident place I can cut. I would prefer it to be more compact. Many thanks for any ideas you may have.Bonsai Prune 2.jpgBonsai Prune.jpg

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
I'd probably cut all branches right between the two lines you have drawn and get rid of any crossing and dead branches you find. it also may be a good idea to re-pot in a well draining mix.

Jason Crump

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hello, This plant was given to me and has not really been touched for 15 years. It's too big and leggy. I would really like to prune or cut this back. Any suggestions as to what I could accomplish with this plant or how far back I can cut. The branches are long and leggy with no evident place I can cut. I would prefer it to be more compact. Many thanks for any ideas you may have.View attachment 148520View attachment 148521

Good looking trunk! There isn't much taper to those branches though. I think cutting to the lower line would be better.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
first change the soil.
then once you see new growth cut each branch back to one leaf.

Bringing this guy down to the size you want will happen in steps unless you really want to push the tree hard (which you can)

I'm not sure of your climate or if the tree is kept outside etc...but if the conditions are right you can go hard on them they bud back like crazy!

I do agree with @sorce the left trunk is not looking like part of the tree I would take it off

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No way! Keep the left trunk. It adds to the canopy of the tree. It would look super unbalanced if removed. Heck, send it to me if you're going to off that trunk.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It does add to the canopy currently, however that trunk has too many issues and in the "big picture" The current canopy is way to high. A new canopy should be established.

If taken down to one leader, it may take longer but, It will have a nice wonderful fat trunk and good taper if taken in this direction. Just my view !

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What canopy?

There is no canopy!

Ceptin thru dem F V Gs!

If you wanna keep it....

Cut it to half height the thicker trunks..
When It buds out everything will be in proportion again.

Problem is it's looks like it's gonna want to throw branches at the inside node...
No good.
But when you lose that...
you lose a big safety net.

Slow.

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What canopy?

Ceptin thru dem F V Gs!

Sorce

F V G ? what??? o_Oo_Oo_O LMFAO!!!! Please explain I must be brain dead :confused::p

There are nice canopies out the window is that what you mean?

But I do agree with you that's why told him to take it in steps..........wonder what he will do

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
F V G ? what??? o_Oo_Oo_O LMFAO!!!! Please explain I must be brain dead :confused::p

There are nice canopies out the window is that what you mean?

But I do agree with you that's why told him to take it in steps..........wonder what he will do

Future Vision Goggles!

No Canopy...

IMO..

The right sub trunks seem keepers...
Maybe one of their divisions but no more..

A canopy is 10 years out with no earth or Florida IMO.

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@sorce aha!!! I thought so but due to your "eclecticness" my mind was coming up with all kinds of crazy shit that it could mean hahahhaa

You are right..............on one of my tiger barks I have been lowering the canopy slowly as it was allowed to grow out to lanky by previous owner. (but not as lanky as above).

I could have chopped it back hard with no problem I do it on all the others. But this one I wanted to try the slower approach to see how it responded and how long it would take.

I have lowered the canopy keeping the same shape only 1 inch this way in 4 months! But have gotten beautiful ramification on it.

So even with FL it'll take many years.

I say again leave only 1 leader!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Keep the second trunk. Once cut back it will add to the canopy of the tree. The second trunk should be cut back a small amount though.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@stevenpollock - Listen to @Redwood Ryan , first work on the roots, repot and then after the tree has started growing vigorously, only then do the chop back. The tree you have is looking anemic, it doesn't look vigorous. Looks healthy enough, but Ficus only grown indoors tend to be weak. Weak trees don't respond well to being chopped. You want to see new buds sprouting on all the branches, that will be the sign your new roots are developing and functional.

Is it possible to grow this outside for the warm months? Where are you located?

As to styling, I'm also with Ryan, but I see this tree as a start towards a wide, squat banyan. Taking off the left trunk will make it look more like an oak or maple. It's your choice.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
OP hasn't been seen since posting this, so don't get your hopes too high.

stevenpollock

Sapling
Reaction score
OP hasn't been seen since posting this, so don't get your hopes too high.

Damn wish i saw all these responses previously. I posted and had no responses for a while. I pruned HARD !!. To the lower line. There is no foliage on the "plant" it's just trunks now. Yikes. It's been about ten days and no sign of any buds. I'm in Vancouver Canada. The first week was cloudy and colder than usual for summer but the heat has arrived and for the last 3 days I have been keeping it outside in nice full sun and then bringing inside in the evenings.

How long can I expect to wait before it buds (if it does).

Thanks for your response.

Steven

stevenpollock

Sapling
Reaction score
Too late my friends. I wish I had responses earlier. So I went for it. It's been about 10 days and no sign of buds. The last 3 days we finally got sun and I have been keeping in full sun outside then returning indoors in the evening. I can see signs of sap on the ends of the cuts forming when placed in the heat/sun.

Take your bets.

20170625_095729.jpg 20170625_095744.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Honestly it's looking pretty gone. You should leave it outside all day and night so long as it stays above 50F. It needs to stay as humid as possible.

It probably won't backbud because it wasn't really growing to begin with, just limping along.

Top Bottom