Tiger Bark Question!

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm going to get some good lights for next winter and probably keep some in year round.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficuses will survive indoor with sunny windows and artificial lights, but they won't look as good as those that get to stay outside. If the tree from the original post is kept outside, it will be fuller with no missing leaves at the bottom or inside.

I use a $250 metal halide light for winter. My ficuses look like a mess inside compare to how they look outside. I have just brought them all outside this week now that the temps are above 50F. Can't wait for them to look pretty again.

One plant that does well both indoor and outdoor is the dwarf aboricola. A sunny window can help maintain its full foliage and short internodes.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut back ficuses, dwarf aboricolas, and mini jades hard when they are actively growing (showing new shoots). You can cut them back to the first or second nodes like maples. The tree needs to be outside in full sun when the weather is at least in the 70's for the best result. When I do this, I do it to the whole tree and leave no leaves at all. With the sun, warmth, and plenty of water, it will bud back all over. I do this annually.

Top Bottom