Tiger Bark Question!

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Just re-potted this Ficus and was wondering when is a good back to cut back on the branches?
They are getting very stringy and leaves are too far a part, also how far back can it be cut?
Img_8510.jpg Img_8515.jpg Img_8542.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Cut back to the first set of leaves on each branch when the tree is growing actively. Might be best to put it outside and let it grow free for a bit.

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks, it's on a heating mat right now, it will go outside soon.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find when I move ficus from inside to out, the leaves often get sunburned and they drop them anyway. I always prune and defoliate as soon as I take them outside. The replacement leaves come out adapted to the sun, and much smaller than the indoor leaves. I've never had a problem with this approach as long as it's warm enough when I bring them out.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I find when I move ficus from inside to out, the leaves often get sunburned and they drop them anyway. I always prune and defoliate as soon as I take them outside. The replacement leaves come out adapted to the sun, and much smaller than the indoor leaves. I've never had a problem with this approach as long as it's warm enough when I bring them out.

Never take a tree from indoors and put it directly into sunlight. You put it in the shade for a few days then slowly transition it to the sun.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never take a tree from indoors and put it directly into sunlight. You put it in the shade for a few days then slowly transition it to the sun.

Yeah, I skip that step by cutting off all the leaves......not everyone would recommend it, but it works for me.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Just re-potted this Ficus and was wondering when is a good back to cut back on the branches?
They are getting very stringy and leaves are too far a part, also how far back can it be cut?
View attachment 141984 View attachment 141985 View attachment 141986
Cut back to the first set of leaves on each branch when the tree is growing actively. Might be best to put it outside and let it grow free for a bit.

You don't need to leave any leaves - cut it back to the approximate sillouette that you want - cut hard. You can see on this one it was root chopped and all branches removed wired in and now is growing like mad 3 months later.
20170119_174300.jpg 20170120_143658.jpg 20170121_091712.jpg 2017-04-21 16.28.38.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You don't need to leave any leaves - cut it back to the approximate sillouette that you want - cut hard. You can see on this one it was root chopped and all branches removed wired in and now is growing like mad 3 months later.
View attachment 142037 View attachment 142038 View attachment 142039 View attachment 142040

This is true, but the branches are so tiny and thin that I wouldn't risk cutting back to nothing. Stronger, thicker branches I'd cut back to nothing, but these I wouldn't trust.

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a small one that I want to repot and move outside in a few weeks. Should I wait to repot after I move out and cut back? And what would you recommend for the cut spots?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a small one that I want to repot and move outside in a few weeks. Should I wait to repot after I move out and cut back? And what would you recommend for the cut spots?

picture?

Repot - meaning?

Small root raking and trim - massive root chopping from first nursery pot - moving to a new pot? what are you doing?

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not to hijack but...IMG_20170421_205657352.jpg put in a bigger pot for some growing and take the long center branch back down to where it curves off to the left.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

1. Move into the shade outside
2. Transition tree to full sun over time
3. Repot when tree is actively growing
4. Cut back when showing new growth after repot

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We don't do much to them up here until the nights are firmly in the 50's and they don't really do more than sputter along until the nights are 60's or more.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All my tropical trees are out on the porch/coldframe. It doesn't really get to low into the forties in there this time of year. They don't seem to mind, although they ain't really growing all that much. Soon, be patient.:cool::cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I skip that step by cutting off all the leaves......not everyone would recommend it, but it works for me.

When it comes down to growing time.....

If you were to do the equation for both methods.....

I think full defoliation may very well translate to more actual energy producing growing time. (by the end I will be sure .
of it.)

Drastic abrupt lighting changes are unnatural And "confusing" for a tree.
And a confused tree doesn't grow well.

A tree that loses it's leaves isn't confused.
Leaves can be lost in many natural ways.

The leaves are the only thing "seeing" the light.
Take off the eyes and throw it in full sun!

Or....
With inside "eyes"[leaves]
Make a confusing change to shade....
Grow those "eyes".
Now 2 eyes.
Then move to final spot and grow those eyes.

Then. You have 3 differently acclimated sets of eyes.....Leaves.

How efficient are those leaves then in their final environment.

We know the texture and color of leaves change to suit Their environment.

Well...there you have it.....
Plants adapt to be most efficient....

So those inside and shade grown leaves aren't as efficient as new ...full sun Only.. leaves.

So....

I would as soon "acclimate" my trees in shade as I would.....

Wear SPF20 on my nose, SPF40 on my brow, and .nothing .on .my .cheeks!

I Friggin.hate .Coconut!

Time your tropical defoliation .to.spring .and .fall!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
1. Move into the shade outside
2. Transition tree to full sun over time
3. Repot when tree is actively growing
4. Cut back when showing new growth after repot

As Ryan has clearly stated a few times here - do your work on tropicals when they are in full growing mode outside. All work... ;) The plants will respond far better...

Grimmy

Top Bottom