Tiger ficus - what am I doing?

southernleaf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all,

I purchased this Tiger Ficus at a nursery about 7 months ago. It has been kept inside and seems to have adapted to it's new light and humidity environment. And it's been spitting off new shoots, which is great to see, but I don't really know how to properly train this tree, nor do I really have a vision for the shape other than "opening it up" and possibly just creating a broad multi-layered cloud-like crown with several strong under branches. Anyone have tips for training these? I wired it late Winter using primarily pull downs. I have not pruned or trimmed it since purchase.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 73

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ficus generally grow long, unbranched shoots so they soon get out of shape.
The good news is they respond really well to pruning, even real hard pruning. Usually lots of new shoots all over whatever branches or trunk is left after pruning so don't be afraid to cut. It might look like a bad haircut initially but a few weeks later you'll be pleased with the result.

I like the unusual trunk shape of this ficus. Reminds me of the trees that grow on coastal cliffs, leaning out to the light.
I think image 1 looks like the best front based on the trunk shape shown in image 0 - trunk grows a little to the rear then bends back toward the front a but before bending to the side.
Given that as front I think the branch growing toward the front just where the thick aerial root is gets in the way a bit. I'd consider chopping that one right off close to the trunk to open the view a bit more.
The other branches just need a hard cut back to condense the foliage pads and it should look great.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a very interesting tree with potential for a unique design. You could even take it in the "windswept" direction.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It has been kept inside and seems to have adapted to it's new light and humidity environment. A
You'll receive the best advice for your location if you add where you are in the world to your profile. Ficus enjoy spending their summers outdoors, so it depends where you are.

Top Bottom