Tile Method- Repotting of Trident

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hello fellow Nuts,

I have a very young Trident Maple that @Eric Group sold me. I will be repotting it next year into a pond basket or other similar growing container. In addition to a full repot, I would like to employ the tile method. Does anybody have any hands-on tips that they can offer to execute this properly? I have read up on it a whole bunch but practical advice from fellow nuts who've done it would be much appreciated. See below for a few key questions I have in the process:

1.) Drainage- Does it inhibit drainage at all? Common sense has me thinking it would hold water on the surface of the tile. To prevent this, should I drill holes in the tile? Or is that counter-productive to the flat, spreading root system I am after?

2.) Tying down- I have seen a few examples of how to tie the roots down to the tile. Most involve tiny drill holes with wire twist ties around the roots. Keeping in mind my tree is young, I believe @Eric Group said he developed it from a cutting last year, how do I tie it down to the tile properly and with the least damage to the roots I am saving?

3.) Shin- Do you recommend flat cutting under the center of the tree, what is typically referred to as the shin? I feel like this would provide the best possible radial spread, and have seen people recommending it and saying not to do it. Anyone with practical experience have advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers their advice, as it is greatly appreciated. I hope everyone has a great week, and happy bonsai!

Beebs

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it is very young, I'd recommend putting it on a tile in the ground.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
If it is very young, I'd recommend putting it on a tile in the ground.

I wish I could. Unfortunately I am moving, so I don't know what that situation will look like until I find my place. Odds are it'll have to go into a large growing pot, like an anderson flat or something of the sort. I like the idea of a fully container-grown tree too. I am willing to wait the extra time it will take to get it up to par. I'll try on a few other maple species I plan on growing in the next year, getting them into the ground on a tile will definitely yield faster results.

Top Bottom