Tilia Cordata/European Linden

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
First styling of a small leaved Lime tree, field grown grown nursery material.

I took a gamble with this tree, as its hard to tell if there is a good base from the website image, but instincts told me that the three thick lower branches should reveal something decent and if not then a good base could be built with those low branches in the future.
15-3439xo.jpg

Out the box
5b566ca8-ad7d-4eb3-86b0-3c7200446d1a.jpg

After a look at the roots, i chose this as the front and potted it up!
c375d487-68a7-4f5e-8af4-eefec9f0811e.jpg

Ive reduced the two apex's only slightly, ive also thought about cutting back to one, the right one has more movement. i quite like the multi trunk look though, maybe something to consider in the future..
3bfb9f74-8800-42cb-8005-15f51c6e16f3.jpg

eff492d6-daad-4b76-864c-f7af9342aa63.jpg

54e7525c-2ae7-4b19-84aa-fa243b46c577.jpg

ae58210c-e197-4a07-b5e9-15fc4f68091c.jpg

23d955ab-3fca-4619-baba-e47c91476e6d.jpg

d02daf4d-4736-42c7-ab55-6a3a5b61a266.jpg

9abb28b5-b93c-4d81-9abd-682b85aaa886.jpg

e32a2981-ead0-4a0a-ab68-3c6f47571569.jpg

Then i made some small adjustments in the image, reduced both apex's slightly more and the straight one has a little more movement now. i think i will keep them both, i like the multi trunk form when i see it in nature, in the future ill watch for any swelling where they fork though.
the trunk line has improved, ive removed a branch that was obscuring the base and the one at the front that was causing some slight swelling.

Front
8f02d6f7-066a-41ab-8182-91e26c26ec85.jpg

b955c11c-25b8-4b85-aee3-d82ae46b14cc.jpg

Slight rotation shows the depth now
7fb2e986-74ad-4109-aaa5-96862c64fe7a.jpg

Looking at the tree further, im also seeing this as an option. no rush though, just a thought.
f9cb45c5-76fa-4700-8145-0793d8e06d62.jpg

I think im also going to bring the two lower branches in closer, im waiting to see where ill get some back budding further down each one, maybe the low fat one will be removed and the one above cut back quite hard, regrown for taper and ramification, while filling back in to the current image.

Tilia cordata is a species of Tilia native to much of Europe, from Britain through central Scandinavia, to central Russia, and south to central Spain, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, the Caucasus, and western Asia

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another nice tree Bobby. Everything is much improved after you cut it back.

Another option might be to reduce the left side of the fork to create less symmetry in the top. Down the road it may make a little better tree. I think this is going to be nice tree either way.

Attachments

• 7fb2e986-74ad-4109-aaa5-96862c64fe7a.jpg
    7fb2e986-74ad-4109-aaa5-96862c64fe7a.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 40

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I might be tempted to cut them both off and use the right smaller branch at the base of the right one as new leader. Like Matt said, another nice one.
I always wanted a linden bonsai, but you don't see them here.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi peeps, Linden is not well known, but there are a few threads i found in the search engine while researching-here's one from 2008 with a really good Linden http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/littlleaf-linden-progress.1072/ some good tips in there too.
another link here with some Linden trees in the landscape.. http://rslandscapedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/ginkgo.html

Not really looking to reduce the height any more now, i have to bear in mind that the leaves dont always reduce that well and Linden is suited to med to large trees. some reduce well after defoliation and others dont..i think this is a good height now. saying that, i have another Linden that i may try at a smaller height than this one. but they make great stately trees, this one will be a Chuhin size its currently 16in from soil level atm. i would only consider reducing the right apex as that one bends away..then wire the left one more centrally..

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
n. no rush though, j

Bobby, forgive me, but I think this decision should be made before spring.
I like exactly where Matt has it. That last top branch we're taking off, seems to want to dominate, therefore giving the left too much strength.
aviary-image-1453677918087.jpeg
I may add....remove that honker of a right branch/trunk/ugly thing. And replace it with these squiggly branches from your second thinner trunk. Seems more cohesive.

You can then keep all your apeci at different heights...red lines, which, may all have to get proportionally taller because of leaf size.

You have been spoiled with perfect material.....I think this one may actually need a year or 2 to grow before settling in to your design.;)

More killer material though! Of course!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
just my 2cents here, it's even more important when setting up a larger tree, to get the taper set right from the beginning. That is why I suggest cutting both apex branches back. There seems to be little taper between them and the main trunk in size...

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hmmmm things to consider, thanks for the input everyone, so Judy would you also leave the length on the thinner right branch that Source is suggesting to build an apex from?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure Im understanding which branch you are referring to...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I may add....remove that honker of a right branch/trunk/ugly thing. And replace it with these squiggly branches from your second thinner trunk.
Sorce

Now that's an articulated thought...:confused:...complete with diagram..

Nice pick up Bobby. Hope it treats you well.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone, few things to decide on..will update when ive done some more on it!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you are referring to the sub-trunk on the right, I would probably chop that lower too, it's a bit straight and taperless, but I'd keep it. I like trees with multiple trunks.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you are referring to the sub-trunk on the right, I would probably chop that lower too, it's a bit straight and taperless, but I'd keep it. I like trees with multiple trunks.
Hi Judy, yes the far right subtrunk, will most likely cut it back to about half or more and remove the one fat one under it....
so its kind of developing into a twin trunk now, maybe something like this http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/japanese-maple.html

but im still thinking the two leaders at the top will give more taper as they fatten...but i also understand that if im to make a more harmonious image then the right main apex will need to become more dominant and flow with the far right sub trunk. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just wanted to mention you definietly have developed your own style. Looking at these pictures it looks like your work, which I think is a great thing.

Also, I think you have a good plan for this and agree with reducing the sub trunk on the right down to half (if you can make it work). You are good at finding comparison trees as well, Walter's tree looks a lot like yours!

I have been looking for a good Linden since last spring but it is hard to find good ones. I have a freind with a very nice one.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi folks, i decided to reduce the left trunk making the right one more dominant and now im just going to let everything extend for a season before assessing again. also going to leave the far right sub trunks for time being. this is also bearing in mind the leaf size of T. Cordata.
Thanks again everyone for sharing your opinions.
1a3a68fc-bd62-43e1-a5d4-dc6a54ad6f86.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Judy, its been more like summer here in the UK. today being the hottest day so far, hope it lasts!

Reaction score
Nope. Living not far away I assume next week will be less sunny. I like linden too. Nice tree. I would take the top down, one at least.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great start! I gotta say I would keep both top branches that you have. i was sitting enjoying the old growth oak across from my house, which happens to have the same type of double apex as your tree. They make amazing trees when leafless and showing all their branching, but that's just how I see it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been looking for a Linden like a mouse looks for cheese....

Love em!

Love it!

Sorce

Top Bottom