Tilia Cordata/European Linden

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, will do an update later in year, hope to get more density. i am a fan of trees with twin apex, i would only remove one if they start to cause inverse.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi folks you may remember this one, it had some flaws to address, its been in the ground for a year and about to remain there this season. im thinking of reducing to a powerful stump and rebuilding the tree from there, you can see where there is some swelling in the top/middle area, chopping would rectify this problem and give me power and taper
2017-03-30_03-55-34 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
32895921824_eac1b697b2_c by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

would be a good time to do the dastardly deed around now :eek:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
had a look at this earlier. the leader is beginning to take off now and this season should see it become strong. i can see from the pic that i will need to cut back the left n right leaders to stop them shadowing out the lower bits. you can see where they would begin to cause a swelling so i may just go in and cut them both flush and let everything else run..

2018-02-09_03-13-32 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

maybe not cut them flush, but cut them back short so the lower ones can become the more vigorous ones

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hm.. I find that tilia will close wounds, but that you need quite a bit of topgrowth for bigger cuts. Why did you not leave it in the ground for another seasons to get the chopsite close down a bit more?
(At the same time I am wondering what my tilias in the ground look like.. Should go to my growing plot the next weeks and do some maintenance.. )

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hm.. I find that tilia will close wounds, but that you need quite a bit of topgrowth for bigger cuts. Why did you not leave it in the ground for another seasons to get the chopsite close down a bit more?
(At the same time I am wondering what my tilias in the ground look like.. Should go to my growing plot the next weeks and do some maintenance.. )

hi, im not too concerned with the wounds on this one, as they're out of view from the chosen front. Tilia grow quite coursely in the ground with long nodes, im happy enough with the trunk size at this point. its at a good stage to develop the stucture in a bonsai pot, ill likely go in at some point and reduce the current silhouette slightly then rinse n repeat.

@jason biggs im told the leaves will reduce over time, but they do suit med to large bonsai so want to get this to around 16in with a wide canopy.
have a look at Maros's work with tilia.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
, ill likely go in at some point and reduce the current silhouette slightly
Yeah, I'd be thinking about taking back some of the branches a bit. Bottom left branch, maybe reduce the secondaries to about half their current length (assuming there are buds in the right places). That will give better taper and closer-in ramification. Maybe do something similar to the ones on the right that don't fork into secondaries yet.
Developing nicely though, I do like that trunk.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good suggestions Tom...

The back budding will be no problem for Tilia, come spring this one will be full of little red nodes popping up. i did do a little cutting back though, there are some well places nodes on the left branch
20190115_224651 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20190115_224713 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

bit better going forward
2019-01-15_10-54-43 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

based on existing nodes, this is how i see it going, im keeping three leaders for now, at some point the one in the middle at the foreground, could be reduced
2019-01-15_10-54-43 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

update later in year

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice base on this tilia Bobby. I like the short stout trunk. I recently got one that I am enjoying although have not put any work into yet. I love the red winter coloration of the buds. Leaves on mine have reduced quite well since it is an older tree and well established by now as a bonsai.

I wish to see more of them here in the US!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice base on this tilia Bobby. I like the short stout trunk. I recently got one that I am enjoying although have not put any work into yet. I love the red winter coloration of the buds. Leaves on mine have reduced quite well since it is an older tree and well established by now as a bonsai.

I wish to see more of them here in the US!

Cheers Mach. that will be the plan with this one now, just to let it establish in this pot for a long while. im with you on the red buds, they're very pretty to look at and also the lime green leaves in summer. the autumn colouration is good too.
if its the same one, i remember seeing yours on mirai, i'll be looking forward to seeing you put your own stamp on it, thats a nice tilia.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cheers Mach. that will be the plan with this one now, just to let it establish in this pot for a long while. im with you on the red buds, they're very pretty to look at and also the lime green leaves in summer. the autumn colouration is good too.
if its the same one, i remember seeing yours on mirai, i'll be looking forward to seeing you put your own stamp on it, thats a nice tilia.

Hi Bobby. Yes it is the Mirai tilia. Still getting to know each other but hopefully soon I will start a thread on it. It seems a wonderful species for bonsai. As you mentioned the yellow color is great in autumn and buds back incredibly well.

Not to digress or highjack your thread but my observation of you guys in Europe, in particular England, is that there is a propensity to working with deciduous species. Would you say this is correct? I wonder if this has to do in part with your natural surroundings? I cannot but think that this must to some degree influence us on our bonsai choices.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Bobby. Yes it is the Mirai tilia. Still getting to know each other but hopefully soon I will start a thread on it. It seems a wonderful species for bonsai. As you mentioned the yellow color is great in autumn and buds back incredibly well.

Not to digress or highjack your thread but my observation of you guys in Europe, in particular England, is that there is a propensity to working with deciduous species. Would you say this is correct? I wonder if this has to do in part with your natural surroundings? I cannot but think that this must to some degree influence us on our bonsai choices.

Hi Mach no worries!
Hmmm thats a good question, I would say personally i have a tendency to go with native species and a lot of that is to do with what i see around me. im in London, all i see usually is oak, tilia, beech, hornbeam, sycamore, horsechestnut, london plane, hawthorn, birch, alder, field maple, elder, rowan, willow, elm, cherry, ash to name a few. yew hedges and trees are common too. sometimes i see tall pines or junipers in large gardens, but not much. i do love working with yew trees though and i like spruce. english yew and scots pine are still very popular among UK hobbyists. @TomB has a pretty varied mix of deciduous and conifers. maybe Tom can shed a little more on this...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm.. Going by my own collection is it ~35 our of ~80 tree as evergreens. So for me, yes, more deciduous but not by a large margin..

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
@TomB has a pretty varied mix of deciduous and conifers. maybe Tom can shed a little more on this...

I’m not sure really. Most people I know seem to have a fairly mixed collection. One thing for sure is that there are more collectible deciduous species than conifers here, which could be an influence. I think imported material (traditional Japanese species etc) is more easily available in Europe than in the US from what I read online.

Top Bottom