Tilia Cordata

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
I bought this little tree from a bonsai nursery over the weekend. I transplanted it into a bigger pot and would like to let the trunk fatten over the next 2 years.
I do need some help on possible styling of this little one. My main question is this stump on the right hand side of the trunk with the thinkening around it. Pic 1 is a close-up. Pic 2 is of the whole tree.
The tree is +- 25cm high with the base of the trunk +- 2cm in diameter. The nebari looks very promising. Right at the base of the trunk I had to cut a root that was out of place, but refreined from doing any more pruning for the time being. At the top the trunk is less than a cm thick.

Any suggestions welcome and very much appreciated.

Gerhard

Attachments

• 100_1367.JPG
    100_1367.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_1369.JPG
    100_1369.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 62

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My thought is pot up again and again. Combing roots, but not chopping them up unless it's to fix something. Even try to spread em out in a grow box. Make the most of the next couple years. 5 years base, 2 years mid-section, last year for top. Then it's ready for a pot. I heard somewhere that was the minimum. But, for me Bonsai is not something you can put a stopwatch on. LOL! Everything should be done at the right time, but only the artist can say when that is. Even then unless you are a master, you only get closer to right with practice.
As for fixing branches, calluses, bulges, bad cuts, and scars... All will be fixed in time. (Short time if your growing the trunk)

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought this little tree from a bonsai nursery over the weekend. I transplanted it into a bigger pot and would like to let the trunk fatten over the next 2 years.
I do need some help on possible styling of this little one. My main question is this stump on the right hand side of the trunk with the thinkening around it. Pic 1 is a close-up. Pic 2 is of the whole tree.
The tree is +- 25cm high with the base of the trunk +- 2cm in diameter. The nebari looks very promising. Right at the base of the trunk I had to cut a root that was out of place, but refreined from doing any more pruning for the time being. At the top the trunk is less than a cm thick.

Any suggestions welcome and very much appreciated.

Gerhard
My limited experience with the Little Leaf Linden is that they can be encouraged to back bud. Not knowing the viability of that stub, I can't offer advice. But, it can't hurt to wait a little while and give the tree time to tell you how it wants to grow.

Top Bottom