Tillia Cordata Little Leaf Linden

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
An update on the tree, it was worked on structurally over the course of last winter and this past spring with Sergio both zoom and in person. After leaf fall, I did a full wiring and a bit of pruning. It is a very fun tree to work, I really love the image with a larger stronger pot. I will allow the canopy to grow wider to enhance the proportions. Potter is Tony Jenkins, found him on FB. A "before" shot to compare.
IMG_5136.jpgIMG_4144.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice, natural looking tree Judy, winter image is very tree like. I think id still look to arrange 1 or 2 primary branches so theyre not crossing over other main primarys, I spotted this one in Blue that me thinks could be nudged left into that negative space there..just me thinking ahead, as that area will become very dense quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_5136.jpg
    IMG_5136.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 44

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice, natural looking tree Judy, winter image is very tree like. I think id still look to arrange 1 or 2 primary branches so theyre not crossing over other main primarys, I spotted this one in Blue that me thinks could be nudged left into that negative space there..just me thinking ahead, as that area will become very dense quickly.
Some of the top will certainly get changed, there are good buds in perfect placements to allow the annoying pieces to be deleted or cut back in another year. It's a work in progress for sure. I like the basic structure, but there are still some parts that I'm itching to replace with new growth in better placements. And of course some of the things you are seeing look so different in 3d... as always is the case.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Too deep…otherwise it’s great.
I agree. I bit shallower and will make the tree stand out even more so.

Thanks for those thoughts, I may ask the potter to try for a shallower one. I think the shape and color/texture is good, still not completely sold on the feet, or maybe it’s the placement of the feet. Would love to hear thoughts on that if you’d be so kind.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for those thoughts, I may ask the potter to try for a shallower one. I think the shape and color/texture is good, still not completely sold on the feet, or maybe it’s the placement of the feet. Would love to hear thoughts on that if you’d be so kind.
To get hyper-critical, I’d agree that the feet might be too closely set, which accentuates the depth and makes the composition a bit unstable. The dark glaze adds stability to my eye, but if you have the option, I’d probably ask the potter to set the feet a touch wider, and make the pot shallower by 20% or so. The shape of the feet could be rounded to compliment the lip and sides.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reminds me a bit of a certain quince...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To get hyper-critical, I’d agree that the feet might be too closely set, which accentuates the depth and makes the composition a bit unstable. The dark glaze adds stability to my eye, but if you have the option, I’d probably ask the potter to set the feet a touch wider, and make the pot shallower by 20% or so. The shape of the feet could be rounded to compliment the lip and sides.
Thank you, that is helpful!

Top Bottom