Time and Care

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have absolutely no reason to post this, as it is more so of a thinking out loud exercise...

I was recently inspired by something seemingly minute and inauspicious, but nevertheless, inspiring.
Its inspired me to spend more time with my trees. I need to think more about styling, direction, about how I want the tree to look in 5 years and how it wants to look. Some kinda of natural mature image.
I want to get a number of Acer P seedlings to try root grafting on a Beni Maiko of mine (suggestion from MarkyScott but something I've seen a few times, from the likes of Mach5), I think it would have good results and its being done by good people, so thats something I want to try.

I should get rid of weeds more often, I use tweezers, it takes a while but it works. I just need to DO more.. I think I am lazy (I don't need you to agree Bobby, THANKS!).
I should work my trees more too... Doesn't mean a full prune and wiring every month, obviously, but not every shoot grows at the same rate as another, and not everything is ready to be removed on that 1 day you prune it.. I've had to get my scissors out, having walked past my Common Pear tree, all of 4 times + a full prune on it this year so far. Thing grows like a weed and its pot grows fresh looking green grass, every chance it gets.. I'm losing substrate/soil everytime I have to remove the tufts of grass!

Anyways, maybe I am writing this as a staple to myself.. I need to do more.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One of my best tools isn't a tool. You can't put a scissors in your pocket, but a scissors holster can go in your pocket or clip on your belt and it allows you walk around with something useful to snip here and there without tying up one hand holding a scissors everywhere you go. A snip in time saves something...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have absolutely no reason to post this, as it is more so of a thinking out loud exercise...

I was recently inspired by something seemingly minute and inauspicious, but nevertheless, inspiring.
Its inspired me to spend more time with my trees. I need to think more about styling, direction, about how I want the tree to look in 5 years and how it wants to look. Some kinda of natural mature image.
I want to get a number of Acer P seedlings to try root grafting on a Beni Maiko of mine (suggestion from MarkyScott but something I've seen a few times, from the likes of Mach5), I think it would have good results and its being done by good people, so thats something I want to try.

I should get rid of weeds more often, I use tweezers, it takes a while but it works. I just need to DO more.. I think I am lazy (I don't need you to agree Bobby, THANKS!).
I should work my trees more too... Doesn't mean a full prune and wiring every month, obviously, but not every shoot grows at the same rate as another, and not everything is ready to be removed on that 1 day you prune it.. I've had to get my scissors out, having walked past my Common Pear tree, all of 4 times + a full prune on it this year so far. Thing grows like a weed and its pot grows fresh looking green grass, every chance it gets.. I'm losing substrate/soil everytime I have to remove the tufts of grass!

Anyways, maybe I am writing this as a staple to myself.. I need to do more.

Just a reminder to self! A thing worth doing is a thing worth doing well!

More effective practice for me is to complete a task before turning to the next.

So it will stay on the turntable until it is properly finished, and only then will I put it back on the bench till the next time.

For the many developing trees, I am reminded of eating an elephant. One bite at a time!
Some time every day works better than occasional wild frenzy!

I like the quote Michael Hagedorn included at the beginning of his book " Bonsai Heresy"
It is from Gary Wood.
" Doing it right will take you a long time,

Doing it wrong will take you forever"

No reason, just is.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
[I would make this change
QUOTE="ConorDash, post: 754823, member: 20000"]
I should work sit with my trees more
[/QUOTE]
Take pix. Save pix.

Do they look healthy?
  • If yes, congratulations. Keep up with the upkeep!
  • If no, figure out why not, treat, observe.
What about them is interesting?
  • I love the nebari and powerful lower trunk OR nope, its a skinny straight trunk with crappy nebari, but I love the foliage. If you want the former, what should you do? If you just want the latter, plant it or enjoy it as a patio tree.
  • I love the line of the trunk movement right here, but this part and that suck --> okay, so what can you do about it? Air layer? Graft? Reposition some foliage (wiring)? Make a plan = what do you need to do and when. Then do it. Stick to the plan until it becomes clear the plan needs to be changed.
Can you now smile at it?
Look at pix. How is it changing? Not like you expected? Pleasantly or unpleasant surprises? What do these things tell you or how could they help you from here? Maybe these things provoke your curiosity to research and understand why it happens (a great past time for evenings and the off-season - knowledge = power).

If you have little confidence it will ever smile back, maybe give yourself some time. Maybe admit your failure to yourself and get rid of it. Get something that has characteristics that please you and with which you can cope/manage/utilize.

Write code to achieve the objective.
Debug the code.
See the consequences over time of the code.
Does it now need tweeking?
Do you now realize that had you done Y, it would have been so much easier to ....

Same game.
Different pleasure. :cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need to have less, so what I am doing is more useful.

t will stay on the turntable until it is properly finished, and only

I assume your turntable is in a position a tree can live on?
Not in the garage, or the dining room table?

I think that is important, glad you brought it up.

Folks with their workbench indoors etc, might not be able to leave them, when maybe they should.

I believe there is a mathematical formula that can assist one in caring for the best collection possible.

Threads like this coax it out of individuals.

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I need to have less, so what I am doing is more useful.

I assume your turntable is in a position a tree can live on?
Not in the garage, or the dining room table?

I think that is important, glad you brought it up.

Folks with their workbench indoors etc, might not be able to leave them, when maybe they should.

I believe there is a mathematical formula that can assist one in caring for the best collection possible.

Threads like this coax it out of individuals.

Sorce
LOL I thought I was talking to myself, and here the walls were listening and misinterpreting as well.

Turntables are in my studio workshop!
Trees often stay for a day or two ( sometimes even three) while I work on finishing the tasks that should be done before returning to the bench or nursery!
Despite a lot of training and practice I am still slow at wiring.
Airflow and temperature and humidity are not an issue. Plenty of outdoor light sneaks in the windows. I use spray bottles ( misting) when I work on certain trees, techniques.
Careful not break dormancy or force early growth.
I tell them they are going on a spa vacation!

PSST: Do not tell those who do not understand and it will be ok!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For me, it is a balance of 2 worths.

Finishing the task.

And keeping a healthy tree.

You are still right for finishing the task.

It got deeply lost in my BS. But I made a thread recently about the importance of finishing tasks.

I believe this is all we can do to achieve success.

Plan tasks. Assess tasks at present. Finish Tasks if assessment proved well.

But if things are nagging at us, we'll fail.

It's 20% physical task and 80% mental.

We must stay mentally healthy.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
talking to myself,

Lol!

Dash started the talking to himself.

He started the "how do you learn" thread too, has had me big thinking about how some folks learn by talking, typing, no pics necessary.

I'll learn wherever, but talking seems to produce the most new thoughts. So I'm bout that.

The Walls are Taking! And taking and taking!

Thought not? Ha!

I was thinking just earlier today about how Dash has these long threads full of type, pages of no pics.
He is also making Leaps and bounds in this thing.
Communitized with Bobby.
He is a poster child for determination, and a great approach.

I don't know if it was effective, I'd like to, but I specifically remember choosing to treat Dash in a specific way because he seemed a specific person.

Effective or not, I feed off Dash for inspiration now regularly. Selfish taking after selfish taking.

Wondering when that 3 or 4 year update is coming. 5 is it 5 already?

Cheers!

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lol!

Dash started the talking to himself.

He started the "how do you learn" thread too, has had me big thinking about how some folks learn by talking, typing, no pics necessary.

I'll learn wherever, but talking seems to produce the most new thoughts. So I'm bout that.

The Walls are Taking! And taking and taking!

Thought not? Ha!

I was thinking just earlier today about how Dash has these long threads full of type, pages of no pics.
He is also making Leaps and bounds in this thing.
Communitized with Bobby.
He is a poster child for determination, and a great approach.

I don't know if it was effective, I'd like to, but I specifically remember choosing to treat Dash in a specific way because he seemed a specific person.

Effective or not, I feed off Dash for inspiration now regularly. Selfish taking after selfish taking.

Wondering when that 3 or 4 year update is coming. 5 is it 5 already?

Cheers!

Sorce

Lol. I wish I thought the same about me, that you do Sorce, thanks for the nice words.
Yeah, recently thinking too much.
Currently, Japanese Maples are defeating my determination, big time. Just can't get away from issues on them, no matter how many times people like Bobby, or Tom or Rob, or the countless others, such as yourself, may comment on threads.. I am not posting problems or talking for my own pleasure lol, I do follow advice as best as possible...

Ahh anyways... bad mental day.
Apologies for not replying sooner!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LOL I thought I was talking to myself, and here the walls were listening and misinterpreting as well.

Turntables are in my studio workshop!
Trees often stay for a day or two ( sometimes even three) while I work on finishing the tasks that should be done before returning to the bench or nursery!
Despite a lot of training and practice I am still slow at wiring.
Airflow and temperature and humidity are not an issue. Plenty of outdoor light sneaks in the windows. I use spray bottles ( misting) when I work on certain trees, techniques.
Careful not break dormancy or force early growth.
I tell them they are going on a spa vacation!

PSST: Do not tell those who do not understand and it will be ok!

I'd like some more room and setup like this... Buying a house soon but won't have enough space for this I reckon lol. Sounds good. Your practice sounds good too, i dont think I could allow them to be inside for more than a day, no matter how much I assured it won't impact them :)

Sorce mentioned too much type, not enough pic, fair enough I will post some!

DSC_1976 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1982 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1965 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thinking too much

Even though "doing too much" is the "in" thing to say right now, I agree one can.

Mostly because they didn't think enough! So I don't believe thinking too much is possible.

Do you have any open to air areas in that fenced in bit?

It could be the "funk" can't escape, so it keeps finding your trees. Maybe ...eh....I hate to say spray everything, but... Kill it all, walls, fence, BS, everything. Then possibly think about running a fan.
Or keep stuff that won't succumb.

If you don't have an English box yet...you oughta!

I'm finding them excellent. Better than other Box for me.

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
this season i learnt that i really dont need to waste money on pesticides and fungicides, the rose clear stuff. i finished the last bottles at the start of spring, usually i would of had to buy repeat bottles. by now there would of been an aphid attack, ive seen the odd aphid but not in numbers to worry about and they seem to have disappeared without any intervention this season. spider mite attacked my field elm last season, this season nothing. i will put all this down to the dormant spraying with dilute LS. its all ive used, ive used it as a winter wash and again in spring as buds swell and again at random times. no fancy measurements just a few drops in a water bottle then fill up with water, so no not worried about the trees turning white. its worked a treat and havnt had to invest in rose clear for the first time in years. a few weeks ago i noticed a few leaves on some trees had been chewed, probably just a caterpillar. remedied itself without any intervention and i never found any caterpillars. could just be a mixture of the dormant spraying combined with me knowing how to care for my trees better, them becoming much stronger. another thing is air flow, its been the best it has been in years with only now having around 9 trees on my balcony.

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Even though "doing too much" is the "in" thing to say right now, I agree one can.

Mostly because they didn't think enough! So I don't believe thinking too much is possible.

Do you have any open to air areas in that fenced in bit?

It could be the "funk" can't escape, so it keeps finding your trees. Maybe ...eh....I hate to say spray everything, but... Kill it all, walls, fence, BS, everything. Then possibly think about running a fan.
Or keep stuff that won't succumb.

If you don't have an English box yet...you oughta!

I'm finding them excellent. Better than other Box for me.

Sorce

Yeah most of the garden is open to air, its not too cramped. Although I have personally been confined to my house and garden for 2.5-3 months now lol. Im going outside my property tomorrow for first time!

I have no idea what an English box is.. English boxwood tree?

this season i learnt that i really dont need to waste money on pesticides and fungicides, the rose clear stuff. i finished the last bottles at the start of spring, usually i would of had to buy repeat bottles. by now there would of been an aphid attack, ive seen the odd aphid but not in numbers to worry about and they seem to have disappeared without any intervention this season. spider mite attacked my field elm last season, this season nothing. i will put all this down to the dormant spraying with dilute LS. its all ive used, ive used it as a winter wash and again in spring as buds swell and again at random times. no fancy measurements just a few drops in a water bottle then fill up with water, so no not worried about the trees turning white. its worked a treat and havnt had to invest in rose clear for the first time in years. a few weeks ago i noticed a few leaves on some trees had been chewed, probably just a caterpillar. remedied itself without any intervention and i never found any caterpillars. could just be a mixture of the dormant spraying combined with me knowing how to care for my trees better, them becoming much stronger. another thing is air flow, its been the best it has been in years with only now having around 9 trees on my balcony.

I use all that, still have problems although of course no telling if they would be worse without.
I just missed the boat this year to trying out the LS at right time.. next winter it is 100% something I am doing. I have seen it talked about way too much, but for now, I cannot reap the benefits! But I've got it ready to use..
Yes, I read the WP post too where he said he doesn't use anything, at all, just has healthy trees. Thats all well and good but not helpful to the common person who is simply not experienced enough to know how to get or keep their tree that healthy.. and we can't simply focus on that 1 thing for next 5 years and let every tree die to teach us one lesson! Lol. Those things obviously happen, naturally but we can't forsake all other logic.. eggs in 1 basket.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
open to air,

But Open open?

I'm seeing the eaves, some top of fence profiles, it seems boxed in, (oh yeah suffriticosa I think it is English Boxwood.)

Like spores of anything can only Eddy and fall back in. Without a breeze breeze.

I took a lotta observations at my old place, my trees would stay pretty well, wherr just the yard over, in the "thicket", everything had fungus.

I "feel" like your microclimate is not agreeing with the collection.

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
one of the reasons Walter has healthy trees because he doesnt mess with roots much. he repots once, gets it right and then doesnt touch the roots for ages. its something ive learnt to do

Thats a good point in fact, thanks for posting. I mean obviously this depends on a number of things, like ensuring the tree is healthy enough to withstand whatever root work may be required (may be major) and having the skill and experience to repot it 100% correctly, including adjustments, the first time. These things take some years, its not so cut and dry. Id hate to think it is supposed to be that easy and so many of us in our first 5 years of the hobby, just get it wrong :).

But Open open?

I'm seeing the eaves, some top of fence profiles, it seems boxed in, (oh yeah suffriticosa I think it is English Boxwood.)

Like spores of anything can only Eddy and fall back in. Without a breeze breeze.

I took a lotta observations at my old place, my trees would stay pretty well, wherr just the yard over, in the "thicket", everything had fungus.

I "feel" like your microclimate is not agreeing with the collection.

Sorce

Ahh well, depending on how open, then no. ALso my bonsai bench which houses them all sits along the side of the garden, backing to a fence and either side are taller bushes. This has only been the case beginning this year, previously they were a lot more central and open.
You may well have a good point although the remedy is more difficult to spot :).
Ill look out for the English Boxwood

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Id hate to think it is supposed to be that easy and so many of us in our first 5 years of the hobby, just get it wrong

Multiply that very human feeling by a million, plaster it all over the internet for 20 years, and it becomes very easy to see why it is in fact, that easy.

Maybe I been under a rock for a while, but when I heard this "you know how to have a million dollars from x, start with 2 million" is used in other industries as well, it greatly confirmed my initial Idea, that the saying is invented to put people off from doing the damn thing, because it it n fact, quite simple.

There are so many "sayings" that control us, it's ridiculous.

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Multiply that very human feeling by a million, plaster it all over the internet for 20 years, and it becomes very easy to see why it is in fact, that easy.

Maybe I been under a rock for a while, but when I heard this "you know how to have a million dollars from x, start with 2 million" is used in other industries as well, it greatly confirmed my initial Idea, that the saying is invented to put people off from doing the damn thing, because it it n fact, quite simple.

There are so many "sayings" that control us, it's ridiculous.

Sorce
It is not the "sayings" it is the possessions.
As in everything you own exercises some control over you.
But then that is just a saying?:eek:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is not the "sayings" it is the possessions.
As in everything you own exercises some control over you.
But then that is just a saying?:eek:

I think the ridiculous sayings help keep us numb and dumb, confused as to what to actually do, so we buy the possessions for relief.

But I'm just Saying! Lol...wow. but wow...

Is that where "just saying" came from?

Just asking ......for a friend.....with a Bentley.

Sorce

Top Bottom