Time table for re-potting trees

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have elm, hornbeam and maples. They were all repotted this spring (2014). My memory serves me correctly these trees should not need re-potting until spring 2016? correct or no. They are all in 10" bulb pots with a Turface / stable dry mix. No roots are growing out of the bottom and no root balls are pushing up. No trees are in finished state and are all under 2" trunks.

Thanks

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are growing in smaller pots,you may have to root prune yearly.
Some publications I have read say to let plants get slightly root bound,but I have had bad experiences with that.There was so many roots circling the container that roots were drying out and the tree was not getting hydrated.It became evident at the start of the second season.
I had that problem with pine seedlings in 7x5" pots.They died.
I have never had old mature trees.I would just root prune yearly until you get to know your trees and see how long they can go.

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repotting sets a tree back for the year. If your developing trees, 3-5 years is more like the target. If you pull them out of the pot every year, you'll never get anywhere.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Repotting sets a tree back for the year. If your developing trees, 3-5 years is more like the target. If you pull them out of the pot every year, you'll never get anywhere.

Correct and to get where you want faster...DO NOT USE bonsai pot right away. Use larger training pots.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks all I thought I was right, just checking on the old brain. Again I am not using bonsai pots but 10" plastic bulb pans that are 5" deep. Most of the trees are not over 1" trunks. Some are 1.5" or so. Ill check them in the upcoming spring to be sure.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice to see you on here! Hope all is going better too ;) In general I rarely repot anything and if so it is a slip pot into a larger trainer with a root and foliar reduction. Other then that emergency repotting only. I have some Junipers in 3 inch Pansy plastic nursery pots for 4 years now that went from 2 - 3 inches to 12 to 16 inches that will get something better next Spring. In general I find it is better not to unless needed.

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Grimmy
Yea I have been gone from here for basically all growing season. I got tired of the politics on the site and I have been just enjoying the trees. I just opened the site today to look around. I start alot of maple and elm cuttings, got tired of buying trees, so in 5 years Ill have some additional nice trees. Ill try and post some of the better ones so you can see them. My trees really exploded this year in growth and really happy with how they look. I basically left them alone and fertilized crazy this year. I trimmed them once in June and probably need to trim them again now or before winter storage.
Any place you get your plastic pots from? largest pot I can find is 10". I made some pine boxes for my larger maples this spring and might do that again when repot comes around.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Wife orders all my trainer pots from Dallas Bonsai. They are a good heavy quality and come in larger sizes as well as 6 packs of the smaller ones at a very good price. Glad to hear you are all doing better and that the plants are growing nicely. We have been just letting ours grow for the most part but have had some fungal and insect problems here at the new house. All under control right now so I guess it was just a learning process :p

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good to know, so you get the plastic bonsai looking ones? I see they offer some rather large ones at fare prices.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good to know, so you get the plastic bonsai looking ones? I see they offer some rather large ones at fare prices.

Yes they are what I call "trainers" - they look nice and offer the shallow root spreading ability. The ones they have in brown or clay color actually first appear to be old clay. Works out good for us without huge spending. We do have large expensive pots but honest they are rarely used unless I am doing a local demo or we have visitors from distant lands. We add moss for those occasions as well but no need otherwise.

Grimmy

Top Bottom