Time to move on: how do I make my new love less skinny?

What am I?

• A gardener

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plant lover

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • A criminal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A psycho

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi,

This was my love and passion for almost 8 years before I was put into hospital for 3 month and my neighbor who promised to take care of it during that time got to occupied emptying my wine collection.
sLsp7lE.jpg

I have a very hard time letting go of things, and I believe that's why I'm drawn to bonsai as my plant of choice since it have the potential to outlive me.
This plant died in 2014 but I have kept it as a reminder of our own mortality without proper love and care.

Anyway I finely have moved on and decided it was time for a new plat to love and nourish and found this rough diamond.
svUZjE5.jpg

Its a bit big, but the roots look amazing and the fact that a little cute fern is living under the thick roots really spoke to me.
So the trunk is amazing, but the top part looks artificial and skinny.
It's like they have taken two separate trees and glued them together!
Also the crown is far to round for me.
I prefer a more mushroom shape and maybe enen a little more "saggy" crown with the leves hanging down to root level.

Here is a close up of the area I'm talking about.

PV38jQN.jpg

I was thinking maybe I could make a cut at the already cutoff branch and hope a new one started to grew.
Or will the tiny one grow thicker and become a natural part of the base?
Please tell me what to do to make the most of it!

I have natural green fingers and have allays loved caring for plants and making them grow to their full potential!
When I was younger (and dumber) I grew cannabis.
Not because I smoked it or needed money, I actually never smoked weed believe it or not, but because I've always felt a connection between me and my plants.
When the police raided my dorm they congratulated me and said it was the singel biggest plant they ever saw.

gWwdVTU.jpg

I mean, look at that little fella!
So cute.

I'm getting of track, need to take my ADD meds :D

I guess I went from a plant loving gardener to some psycho criminal in 10 second, but I'm not so bad :D

Anyway sorry for the rant and hi to everyone (I'm new here).

Ant suggestions are immensely appreciated!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't want to piss on your dreams, but that's the much maligned 'Ginseng' Ficus. Nobody likes the look of the stupid tuberous exposed roots. You can ground layer it to get rid of them or attempt to hide them with aerial roots. I have one I bought last year just to see if I could make anything decent out of it, so don't feel like I'm hating on you or the plant. Search for ginseng ficus on http://adamaskwhy.wordpress.com for several helpful articles.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also here: http://bfy.tw/5saZ

Edit: I'll add that if you want the upper section to thicken (be less skinny), then you need to let it run wild and grow completely unrestricted - do not prune or cut anything until it reaches the desired thickness.

Last edited:

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
and found this rough diamond.
It's a very rough diamond ;) As Cpt. Kirk said, It's hard / much work to convert this mass produced "bush on a root" to a bonsai. But it's still a plant and needs our love and care. If you like it, I like it. Welcome to the forum!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like a top stuck to another tree because it is. The roots were grown seperately and the top is grafted on. Your exactly right!
If you would grow and smoke more weed, you wouldnt need ADD meds. Truly. Quit poisoning yourself and treat the "problem" naturaly. Weed cures ADD and a lot more! Without chemicals or paying doctors or buying into their mislead "solutions".

Top Bottom