Time to repot or too late

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
as i said the troubled root is in the rear of the tree and i was unable to bend or manipulate it anymore in repotting and i did not want to remove any more root so I will be patient and sort it out in time.
The troubled root was cut back 3 months after reporting when I knew the tree had settled and was recovering well.
It will be done in a few steps.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That pot is awesome with that trunk. Thanks for sharing.

Bonsai butcher

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Exactly the opposite is true. It is far better too late than too early. This is state ot the art on Agricultureal Colleges.
You still have at least three weeks time to do it. I repot pines around the beginning of May. In a more southern climate this may be two weeks earler. Still plenty of time.
Thisis for spring repotting. With late summer repotting the opposite applies: Too early is much better than too late. Starting by middle of August. Fall repotting (afer middle fo September) sould be totally avoided in areas where the trees can get frost.

This advice is not just guesswork. A group of people repots tens of thousands of bonsai every year with this scheme successfully. Nurseries for forest trees repot millions every year.

Bonsai butcher

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your insight. This is very helpful. I know some who do fall reporting but it makes me nervous because of our harsh winters here.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have fairly harsh winters. I do not repot in fall. I repot in middle to late summer. BEFORE the autumnal equinox, after the summer solstice. In my climate the heat of summer breaks about the 3rd week of August. I usually begin summer repotting the second week of August and finish usually by first week of September. This works for my climate. This allows enough time for new roots to form and harden off for winter.

CAUTION - if you live in a hot summer climate, do not attempt summer repotting. I have fewer than 10 days per year over 90F (fewer than 10 days over 38 C ). I have what is considered a cool summer climate. Summer repotting in a hot long summer climate will be fatal. Summer repotting is a STOOPID move in Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, New Mexico, Arizona & California. Probably not good in Georgia, SC & Florida. At least in the southeast you have humidity.

I began summer repotting because personal life allowed very little free time in spring. I have since found that conifers in particular do well with middle to late summer repotting. I have found autumn repotting to be problematic. Fall repotting is okay if I am able to protect the tree from extreme cold over winter.

Spring repotting, works best for deciduous for me.

Top Bottom