Time to transplant JBP?

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is anyone in the southeast USA transplanting japanese black pines yet? I have a few 2 and 3 year old seedlings that need new pots. They have some small buds 1/4 inch. I plan to move them into
"pond baskets".

I also want to apply the first wire to them to add shape to the trunk. Is that OK to do after I transplant them?

I am in Georgia zone 8.

Thanks

Frank

TimZ8

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Newly repotted trees should not freeze. Repot only if you can keep them above 32. Also not a good idea to let them freeze with wire on them.

Tim

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
In Birmingham, I report at spring break time...Mid-March. I'd wire before you transplant to minimize root stress.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also not a good idea to let them freeze with wire on them.

What happens if you do? Best time to wire is Autumn. I'm not sure about removing wire just after application.
Seams a waste of time, money and stress on the tree to achieve any wiring effect.
DSC_5973.JPG DSC_5974.JPG DSC_5976.JPG

I left wire on my JWP, Mugo and JBP as well as various junipers over the Winter. Pics taken today.
Once the buds have moved, beginning to elongate, is when they should be repotted.

Once the candles have opened, the window for repotting has closed or soon to follow for Spring repots. Mugo is different.
Mid ways open is prime time to apply systemic fungicide to prevent needle cast, then follow up with a second treatment.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is anyone in the southeast USA transplanting japanese black pines yet? I have a few 2 and 3 year old seedlings that need new pots. They have some small buds 1/4 inch. I plan to move them into
"pond baskets".

I also want to apply the first wire to them to add shape to the trunk. Is that OK to do after I transplant them?

I am in Georgia zone 8.

Thanks

Frank

Are the buds starting to swell? If so its time.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What happens if you do? Best time to wire is Autumn. I'm not sure about removing wire just after application.
Seams a waste of time, money and stress on the tree to achieve any wiring effect.
View attachment 358083 View attachment 358084 View attachment 358085

I left wire on my JWP, Mugo and JBP as well as various junipers over the Winter. Pics taken today.
Once the buds have moved, beginning to elongate, is when they should be repotted.

Once the candles have opened, the window for repotting has closed or soon to follow for Spring repots. Mugo is different.
Mid ways open is prime time to apply systemic fungicide to prevent needle cast, then follow up with a second treatment.
You do realize that no one had posted on this thread in over 11 years?

The winter wire problem mentioned on one of the posts is totally false. I wire my pines in fall, and the wire usually stays on for a couple of years.

The Internet is a ripe breeding ground for misinformation. Take everything with a grain of salt until you can verify it independently.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You do realize that no one had posted on this thread in over 11 years?

The winter wire problem mentioned on one of the posts is totally false. I wire my pines in fall, and the wire usually stays on for a couple of years.

The Internet is a ripe breeding ground for misinformation. Take everything with a grain of salt until you can verify it independently.
Nope, just saw the thread being browsed by a member and clicked on it. Thought it was 2020 not 2010. Oops.
Still, I'm sure I didn't provide any misinformation. I'm outside working on a mugo today and this thread got me
inspecting the wire and guy wires on it which needed removing. No harm done, same information still applies
but that's funny since I read all the posts before I replied 😬.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nope, just saw the thread being browsed by a member and clicked on it. Thought it was 2020 not 2010. Oops.
Still, I'm sure I didn't provide any misinformation. I'm outside working on a mugo today and this thread got me
inspecting the wire and guy wires on it which needed removing. No harm done, same information still applies
but that's funny since I read all the posts before I replied 😬.
The misinformation was about not leaving wire on the tree over the winter. You didn’t post that, but you were asking about it. I was simply stating, “Don’t believe everything you see on the internet”! Lol!!

Top Bottom