Timing beginner Katsura almost got away from me

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Still trying to just keep a maple alive in a pot. I don't think I lost any last year or over the Winter.
DSC_5988.JPG
A Spring storm with hail and a cold front yesterday, and leaves starting to show today.
I'm planning on the next reduction to be the larger of the two forks mid ways up.DSC_5991.JPG
I was ill prepared to pot up waiting for the last of the hard frosts, I was researching my soil components just yesterday.
I hate two stepping.

DSC_5996.JPG
I'm afraid to cut back to the 1st branch just yet in lieu of foliage/strength. Plus I'm shooting for roughly a 20" tree.
Will check wire in 2 weeks. Having kept a couple in pots alive over the Winter and changing up the soil, maybe next year
a more drastic cut, maybe just mid ways.

Should I reduce it mid ways at this point now, or let it put on roots and recover then reduce next year
given the current reduction today?

Attachments

• DSC_5993.JPG
    DSC_5993.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 18

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have some cambial damage at the first branch area.
Good eye. Bad practice. You mean here from 2 years ago when I tried to bend the trunk :rolleyes:🤫🤫
1616194458218.png1616194527248.png
Then cut pasted it back together? I think that's the damage you're seeing. It has healed better than expected.
I was advised to cut it below the break then, which would leave no viable branch, I just can't break that barrier yet.
Yes it's a mental thing. I could have cut it above the damage spot today and probably been ok. Trying the stages approach.
Today I just tried to leave more foliage for recovery, but if I should reduce more this go around is unclear to me.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leave it alone for 3-5 years?

Or learn to appreciate a JM with a large portion of deadwood on the lower trunk....but that's the result, regardless..... :(

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Leave it alone for 3-5 years?

Or learn to appreciate a JM with a large portion of deadwood on the lower trunk....but that's the result, regardless..... :(
I can't leave thinking I understand your angle, would rather know for sure.
Are you saying that since I broke the trunk trying to bend it previously, that there is
going to be a large portion of deadwood? It sounds like that's what you're saying since
either way (leave it alone for 3-5 yrs) results in the same outcome.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No bonsai techniques needed here, outside of benign neglect.

ya'll "Pacinoed" this rig.... ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

kiss.gif

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No bonsai techniques needed here, outside of benign neglect.

ya'll "Pacinoed" this rig.... ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

View attachment 362064
Will do :)
Had I been prepared for this I'd had some proper staples and tacked it down to a round bit of wood.
The thick saucer takes up too much room to give more tilt to the trunk using this pot.

LOL @ Pacinoed. Let's hope it's not a kiss of death at least.
Trying a mix of Pine Bark, Monto Clay and Lava Rock 2:1:1

Top Bottom