Timing big bends on Ponderosa

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi, I got a new Ponderosa and I'd like to throw some big bends into it. What's the best time of year to do this? I'm going to pluck all the needles along the trunk and wrap it with some raffia then apply some thick copper and try and get some movement in it. It's still pretty flexible so kinda want a fairly harsh angle change, is this something to do all at once? I've only really put big bends in lodgepoles and usually do it in the spring.

20220719_121933.jpg

Thanks
Salcomine

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would wire and bend after you finish needle plucking.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In my opinion early spring is the best time. Second best time is in August after the summer heat starts to cool off a bit.

I probably wouldn’t do it right now (peak heat).

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are really doing some big bends, I would definitely recommend your plan using raffia and a supporting wire along the area that you are bending besides the usual wire wrapped around the trunk.
It will support the bend better than just the coiled wire alone

Ive only done big bends on a Japanese White Pine and we did that in the fall. Not sure what the best time for Ponderosa is.
Now is definitely not a good time. It will be either fall or early spring as Colorado stated

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, I got a new Ponderosa and I'd like to throw some big bends into it. What's the best time of year to do this? I'm going to pluck all the needles along the trunk and wrap it with some raffia then apply some thick copper and try and get some movement in it. It's still pretty flexible so kinda want a fairly harsh angle change, is this something to do all at once? I've only really put big bends in lodgepoles and usually do it in the spring.

View attachment 447887

Thanks
Salcomine
Strong suggestion is refer to Mirai Live Ponderosa livestreams first☺️.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I signed up for a free trial of his videos, was there a specific one that stood out to you, there's a couple on ponderosa but mostly yamadori.
Not specific. If remembering more than just a couple on Ponderosa. All contain good teaching on working these and believe most advice will be presently useful. Somewhere should tell good/best time for working these😊. Often something is missed and can help to watch over again. Took quick look at Mirai Live library and saw 9 using Ponderosa not including any on grafting. Ryans favorite tree species. One key thing: Needle count is your friend. Removing needles during development is bad idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom