Timing for the contest - Help

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have two questions:
1-) As I am in the Southern Hemisphere and my seeds will arrive any moment, I feel more secure if I wait for our Spring here, wich is in September. Now is the last month of summer, I guess too late for the whole process. Right?

2-) Most of my tropical seedlings needed some kind of soaking or scarification (usually very hot water), but none in my experience needed stratification. So, should the innitialy moist tissue around the seeds in the fridge be kept moist? Should I put some sphagnum moss around the seeds? Should I close the plastic bag hermetically or make some holes on them?
Thanks in advance!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@Bonsai Nut, if I wait to sow the seeds in September can I still participate?

@markyscott should I sprinkle moit sphagnum moss on top of the seeds before closing the plastic ziplock?

Thanks for your help!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

@markyscott should I sprinkle moit sphagnum moss on top of the seeds before closing the plastic ziplock?

Thanks for your help!

Hi - when storing seeds in the refrigerator I keep them moist, but not wet. I roll them in a moistened paper towel and put a little sphagnum moss inside to maintain a little moisture in the bag.

S

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Thanks for your help!

You can absolutely participate! We will either probably have a separate "Southern Hemisphere" group that gets judged 6 months later than the Northern Hemisphere. For those folks, they don't need to start until July or so (if they want to start in the spring). I am hoping we get a fair number of Southern Hemisphere participants. I might even create a separate forum right next to the this one, and turn this one into the "Northern Hemisphere" one.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
You can absolutely participate! We will either probably have a separate "Southern Hemisphere" group that gets judged 6 months later...
Ah, thank you! So I will not do it in a rush!

I might even create a separate forum right next to the this one, and turn this one into the "Northern Hemisphere" one.
You mean a separate thread, right? Not a "Bonsainut for southerners", right? I would miss you guys a lot if we got segregated!:eek:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ah, thank you! So I will not do it in a rush!

You mean a separate thread, right? Not a "Bonsainut for southerners", right? I would miss you guys a lot if we got segregated!:eek:

Do you see how there is a "forum" called "The 6 Year Black Pine Contest"? I would make one "Northern Hemisphere" and add a second for "Southern Hemisphere". That way people can decide which contest they want to be judged in. Everyone can still read/post to all threads in both forums, and all posts will still show up in the "new posts" section of the site.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Clicio .

all the seed that was bought, by us, just went the the fridge in a plastic bottle.
Vegetable crisper section.
Then when ready to plant given a 24 hr. soak and just planted in a mix of commerical
peatmoss / perlite mix with some added in 5 mm gravel to improve drainage and
lighten the water holding capacity of the peat moss.

Seeds came up in around 10 days, first batch, second batch 7 days.
[ been doing this since 1987 or so ]

If you are using the batch being sent to you by us, just do the above.
Should be around 100 seed or so.

The seeds germinated easily with lows of 66 to 68 deg.F. from 10 p.m to 8 a.m.
Highs of 86 deg.F.

I can also send more seed for September. Not a problem.
Is Frost a problem?
Good Day
Anthony

* We found that a simple soil mix of 5 mm silical based gravel and compost
grows seedlings very well.
Plus using porous clay pots.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I can also send more seed for September. Not a problem.
Is Frost a Problem?

@Anthony first of all, thank you very much for all the info provided and the seeds, of course.
I'll let you know how the whole process will develop.
No, frost definitely is not a problem here after July.
Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom