Timing Japanese Maple Thread Graft

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
At what point is a branch on a JM ready to be used as a feeder for a thread graft? Is it when you can see the next generation buds at each leaf node?

The branches are about 3 weeks old and about 18" long with about 6 leaf pairs.

The tree is a large 1 {trunk 3-4", height ~ 2 feet} in a deep training pot.

Thanks.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think the issue is more of timing for the thread graft. I've done these in early spring before the buds even swell, so the branches are from the previous year. It's likely too late for thread grafts, so whether you can use the young branches appears irrelevant.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the issue is more of timing for the thread graft. I've done these in early spring before the buds even swell, so the branches are from the previous year. It's likely too late for thread grafts, so whether you can use the young branches appears irrelevant.
Why is it too late? Buds are likely not ready? There's not enough time for the feeder to thicken? Thanks.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Best time for thread grafting deciduous is before the buds swell in late winter. After the buds swell you'll need a much larger hole to pass the stem through and obviously difficult to thread stem with leaves through a hole. In theory you could defoliate carefully and thread graft but that's all extra work.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Best time for thread grafting deciduous is before the buds swell in late winter. After the buds swell you'll need a much larger hole to pass the stem through and obviously difficult to thread stem with leaves through a hole. In theory you could defoliate carefully and thread graft but that's all extra work.
Yes, I was going to remove the leaves so the hole is barely wider than the branch. Buds are not swollen, but I'm not sure if they are far enough developed so defoliation would lead to them swell and bud.

mook1178

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is the hurry to do it now instead of when the tree is just waking up from dormancy?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In general, even very young herbacuous branches will budd out if healthy, so I would not have too big a concern there. I am concerned about the donor getting damaged in the process, but who knows.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, I was going to remove the leaves so the hole is barely wider than the branch. Buds are not swollen, but I'm not sure if they are far enough developed so defoliation would lead to them swell and bud.
Hi Jimlau,
So I might be going against other members concerns here and agree with you that thread grafts can be done late Spring. Sure the grafts performed in early Spring are safer but here’s my reasoning too.

So a year or two back I tried to wire late Spring or Summer growth. This was to have them ready for the next Spring but I wasn’t very good at the wiring or confident in bending the new growth around ready with wire etc. Then I came up with a plan along your question line of the thread. Why couldn’t I bend the soft/semi-hard branch of ‘current’ Spring growth to my drill site, defoliate the stem and poke through. After a practise bend of two to prove it was possible, I performed the thread graft. A couple of weeks later ( the Japanese Maple) Katsura started pushing growth all along the stem. With much excitement I rubbed off the buds on the mother tree side, which forced the new growth to only grow on the side wanted. Within a couple of months of Summer growth the graft was able to be severed, although a way less risky move should have been to leave it for the entire season. I can take a photo of mine if you wish.

I find Beech and Hornbeam still flexible in the Spring pre-leaf with all but the terminal bud removed has been very successful too.

I hope that helps,
Charles

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Be sure your stock is growing vigorously... the one time I used a defoliated whip to create a thread graft, it didn't push new leaves that year and was dead by next spring. The grafts I create during the dormant season almost universally grow and are successful.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the replies. Should I defoliate both sides of the feeder, meaning the ones not only on the end side but also the pre-hole side?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the replies. Should I defoliate both sides of the feeder, meaning the ones not only on the end side but also the pre-hole side?
I would. Otherwise, the tree might abandon the defoliated portion of the whip in favor of the portion of the branch still actively growing.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The branches are about 3 weeks old and about 18" long with about 6 leaf pairs
As you mention existing leaf pairs that may throw off the reader. Your question is about the appropriate timing! Typically threading the branch is most effective with smaller buds and more flexible tips. This also enables a smaller hole for the thread graft. Combine this with the beginning of the growing season for best results. Note: you can remove larger buds and early leaf pairs from a section of the branch to ease the insertion when dealing with thicker trunks or branches. ( just not the growing tips)
For some species I prefer to wire the branch into place during the previous growing season as it extends. This makes for easier thread approach at the desired angle and also less disruption to the thread graft during the process. Bthe asically the branch is in place for the beginning of the next growing season, allowing for the insertion and the full growing season for the hole to close and the branch to settle in. This thread graft would be typically be performed in March prior to to bud swell. At least in my location.
Here is a picture to illustrate the approach suggested above.IMG_9604.JPG

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Should I use cut paste, or will that keep the branch and trunk from conecting?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Combine this with the beginning of the growing season for best results.
I prefer to wire the branch into place during the previous growing season as it extends.
I'm still in favor of this approach. It's the most effective and practical method. I don't believe you are necessarily speeding anything up by performing the graft now as it may not take before winter and then you need to care for it all winter and leave it on next season in any event. I only did a few thread grafts this season on a bloodgood at the end of winter before buds swelled. The branches have extended and swelled a lot. No question I can cut them in the fall. What's sure is sure.

Attachments

• bggraft.jpg
    bggraft.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 8

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Yep, use cut paste as it seals the wound from any possible infection. I don't agree with the previous message as you are using the rest of the growing season to complete job. Yes, it might not be ready, but so what.
Obviously the best time to do thread grafts is in the Spring before leaves start moving. But I am confident it works both ways.
Charles

Top Bottom