Timing: When to repot a Juniper?

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
I still have a hard time to figure out when to repot conifers... In this case a juniper (that was not well cared for obviously...)
This are it's "buds" right now...

2016-03-16 12.05.35.jpg

Is it ready?

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you pinch them?

When mine start doing that what exactly should I pinch on it....

This is one thing iv had a hard time feeling confident with.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Please don't pinch the new growth. There is a nice resource right on this site for how to manage juniper foliage.

Last edited:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Never pinch, cut extensions back, check the resources page.

Aaron

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At risk of starting a war...
As others have alluded to, pinching is old school.

New school says on developing junipers, it is better to let them grow then cut back in the fall.

Pinching is still sometimes done on fully developed trees to prepare for show.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pinchy,pinchy!
Oh boy! Nwaite,be careful what you ask!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pinchy,pinchy!
Oh boy! Nwaite,be careful what you ask!
Apparently. ...

Pinch, twist, cut... yadda yadda ...

Thank you for explaining that part but besides Paradox you did not answer the question. .. cutting back in fall sounds easy enough but can it be to any point I want or just new growth.

Sorry to o\p for jumping in.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can cut back to any point as long as you leave green.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Apparently. ...

Pinch, twist, cut... yadda yadda ...

Thank you for explaining that part but besides Paradox you did not answer the question. .. cutting back in fall sounds easy enough but can it be to any point I want or just new growth.

Sorry to o\p for jumping in.

A couple of us did point you to a resource that explains it all very clearly. Why don't you take a look at that instead of asking us to re-post it all here again for you? Once you're done, come back and ask questions. Here are the links if you are having difficulty finding them.

http://www.bonsainut.com/resources/how-to-trim-and-establish-pads-junipers-pt1.18/
http://www.bonsainut.com/resources/how-to-trim-and-establish-pads-junipers-pt2.19/
http://www.bonsainut.com/resources/how-to-trim-and-establish-pads-junipers-pt3.20/

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Never pinch, cut extensions back, check the resources page.

Aaron

Once again the wrong terminology leads to confusion. The word pinching can allude to using the fingertips which invariably leads to bruised foliage (crushed cells which die and go brown - intact cells which result from pulling them apart do NOT go brown).
When refining the outline of the juniper we ''pluck'' the tiny green points which jut out from the profile. This is the way to produce lush clouds of foliage. These days the look of shimpaku has changed from the 30's to 70's in Japan when these more natural billowing and lush foliage masses were preferred to the more slick, unnatural, modern, Kimura, plastic, contrived look with dead straight and level undersides to the branches. (sorry I just had to include that little rant) But anyway, You don't HAVE to employ the ''plucking'' but if you want density and refinement you will want to. Thinning out with scissors is obviously needed periodically just as it is with any other tree but saying that the only way to manage junipers and avoid weakness or tip browning is to only clip back more mature branchlets with scissors and avoid plucking is plainly not accurate.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Once again the wrong terminology leads to confusion. The word pinching can allude to using the fingertips which invariably leads to bruised foliage (crushed cells which die and go brown - intact cells which result from pulling them apart do NOT go brown).
When refining the outline of the juniper we ''pluck'' the tiny green points which jut out from the profile. This is the way to produce lush clouds of foliage. These days the look of shimpaku has changed from the 30's to 70's in Japan when these more natural billowing and lush foliage masses were preferred to the more slick, unnatural, modern, Kimura, plastic, contrived look with dead straight and level undersides to the branches. (sorry I just had to include that little rant) But anyway, You don't HAVE to employ the ''plucking'' but if you want density and refinement you will want to. Thinning out with scissors is obviously needed periodically just as it is with any other tree but saying that the only way to manage junipers and avoid weakness or tip browning is to only clip back more mature branchlets with scissors and avoid plucking is plainly not accurate.
Michael, even if you "pluck" the tips and don't crush, the very last tip end will brown. And the whole needle will eventually die because a new growing tip will not be formed on a "plucked" needle.

It is still better to go in with a pair of sharp scissors and remove a whole tuft rather than leave a truncated needle.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't get your panties in a twist...

Thank you for the links :) . It's greatly appreciated!
A couple of us did point you to a resource that explains it all very clearly. Why don't you take a look at that instead of asking us to re-post it all here again for you? Once you're done, come back and ask questions. Here are the links if you are having difficulty finding them.

http://www.bonsainut.com/resources/how-to-trim-and-establish-pads-junipers-pt1.18/
http://www.bonsainut.com/resources/how-to-trim-and-establish-pads-junipers-pt2.19/
http://www.bonsainut.com/resources/how-to-trim-and-establish-pads-junipers-pt3.20/

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I pluck and pinch where needed in order to get the shape I'm after on all of mine, I don't see what the problem is if you do the pinching sparingly . Scissors are used to open the tree up and expose the branches so it looks more like a tree rather than a bush and of course to let light in so as not to end up with a lot of dead foliage on the inner
parts. :) apix111.jpg jbpdec31.jpg

Top Bottom