Timing

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello BN Forum peeps, this is my first post after lurking around here for a few months, absorbing the great information. I'm about a year into bonsai, with no great successes as of yet, but a few living and doing fine and others in nursery pots or in the ground training. My biggest questions seem to be about timing... When to prune, when to collect, when to pot or repot, when to trunk chop, etc. I live in Atlanta in case my profile info doesn't show up...

Thanks in advance, keep the great posts coming!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don't take this the wrong way , but......
What kind of tree, when was it potted, where do you keep it, and about 30 other questions, you ask for a book that hasn't been written yet, too vague, you need to be more specific, many of the subjects are books in themselves, or large chapters at least. You ask for an essay of our years learning bonsai.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There really is quite a few different answers to your questions. I would just spend the winter reading books and learning some of the basics. These forums are great for asking questions because there is so much experience to draw from, but I would work through your questions until you get stuck, then ask the forum. I have read 3 different beginner books this year, and also Nick Lenz's book and I recommend Dave Joyce's book for a good read.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Go visit the Atlanta Bonsai Society website. They have a monthly newsletter online that highlights what can be done with certain species during that month in the Atlanta area. Then, plan on joining and coming to the next meeting:).

Dave

ps As Bill mentioned, if you have specific questions about a certain tree, we might be able to help you.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go visit the Atlanta Bonsai Society website. They have a monthly newsletter online that highlights what can be done with certain species during that month in the Atlanta area. Then, plan on joining and coming to the next meeting:).
QUOTE]

I agree, I am a member of the Atlanta Bonsai Society and it is a good group. Meetings and workshops are held every month. Come join us!

Frank

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I knew it was a little broad, so I'll narrow the scope... I have a trident in the ground that I got from the monestary last year. It's coming along nicely, but I want to chop the top in favor of a new leader and to encourage more growth, both height and girth. When is the right time to do this? Also, when this is done, should I go to the roots and do anything? I'm enjoying watching it grow, just looking for proper timing to make this tree all it can be. Obviously just whetting the feet here.

Thanks all, I look forward to one day joining ABS sometime, working weekends has been the hold up thus far.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In general repoting and subsequently any root or branch pruning is usually done in early spring right before the tree begins to come out of dormancy. This is the best time to do work with minimal stress to the tree.

You can also go to your local library and read up on Bonsai books for free. They should have a good selection on Bonsai related reading material.

Top Bottom