Tiny Bugs Big Pine

oliviad

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi All -

My pine has tiny beetles! Well, bugs. Not sure if they’re beetles. This white fungus(?) appeared on the trunk this season and the little buggers have followed. I’m worried because this is an old, old, OLD tree. Any help would be great. Pics attached.

Olivia

Attachments

• 5F65FE3A-E7B7-40F5-894C-3EF7045CF968.jpeg
    5F65FE3A-E7B7-40F5-894C-3EF7045CF968.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 5FE4CB74-B934-4E47-9B17-91D38B02EFB6.jpeg
    5FE4CB74-B934-4E47-9B17-91D38B02EFB6.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 1D3A0EEB-9C16-4AF8-A791-40845B38F271.jpeg
    1D3A0EEB-9C16-4AF8-A791-40845B38F271.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 47
  • 1BE1F8A3-8EFD-4C7F-A124-1EC65011966C.jpeg
    1BE1F8A3-8EFD-4C7F-A124-1EC65011966C.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The white looks like Lichen which isn't bad for the tree but can be unsightly on the bark, got any clear close ups of the bugs? or a description of them? and are they hanging around the white stuff or they somewhere else?

It could be bark lice since they feed on fungus and dead tissues alot but theyre not a pest. If youre really worried about it try using insecticidal soap or a decent insecticide

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is lichen, and I would argue that lichen, and all that moss growing on the bark, is “bad” for your tree. Not bad as in it’s going to kill your tree or anything. But bad because moss and lichen will hold moisture in your bark and contribute to your bark rotting off much faster. Since old bark is one of the the most desirable characteristics when it comes to pine bonsai, it would be in your best interest to remove the lichen and moss to preserve your bark. I’ve heard of people dabbing a Clorox solution onto moss with a qtip if it can’t be pulled off without pulling the bark off. Maybe someone more experienced in removing moss and lichen from pine bark can give you some pointers.

oliviad

Sapling
Reaction score
The white looks like Lichen which isn't bad for the tree but can be unsightly on the bark, got any clear close ups of the bugs? or a description of them? and are they hanging around the white stuff or they somewhere else?

It could be bark lice since they feed on fungus and dead tissues alot but theyre not a pest. If youre really worried about it try using insecticidal soap or a decent insecticide

They’re quite tiny and look like they’re brownish in color but that’s really all I could make out. My crap eyesight doesn’t help this situation, lol!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would spray to be on the safe side, not sure whats a good insecticide that you can get in the states but neem-based spray works good. There is a chance it could be bark beetles but you would notice some declining health so better to be safe in this instance!

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love lichen...and feel it adds to the age of a tree. It grows everywhere in my location. I've not heard ones concerned with it...
I have. It’s surely not an urgent issue, but if you just let lichen spread over your tree, then the bark will become obscured as well. What I’m talking about is preserving the visual image of what is traditionally desirable in Japanese bonsai. Not health concerns. I don’t mind a bit of lichen on some of my trees, but would remove it from my pines. It just comes down to personal preference I guess!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A little lichen is ok, but too much is bad.

You can cover the soil with a cloth, then spray the trunk with vinegar. Try not to get it on any foliage.

In two weeks do it again.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have. It’s surely not an urgent issue, but if you just let lichen spread over your tree, then the bark will become obscured as well. What I’m talking about is preserving the visual image of what is traditionally desirable in Japanese bonsai. Not health concerns. I don’t mind a bit of lichen on some of my trees, but would remove it from my pines. It just comes down to personal preference I guess!
Thanks Adair...your the Pine King. Pine do have some amazing depth to a tree. Which is understandable.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay, I can see the value in such...as Pines have amazing depth. I love lichen. And keep it on my trees. But alas...no pine in my collection.

oliviad

Sapling
Reaction score
A little lichen is ok, but too much is bad.

You can cover the soil with a cloth, then spray the trunk with vinegar. Try not to get it on any foliage.

In two weeks do it again.

If I want to take the lichen off, do I just peel it off or is there a way that I can do it without disturbing the bark? This was one of my dad’s favorite trees, I don’t want to screw with the bark and ruin the whole thing.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When it’s dead, it’s easier to remove. Kill it first, give it a bit of time to dry up. Most will probably just fall off.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just carefully peel off what you don’t want with tweezers. It is attached at a central point and fans out from it. No big deal. What kind of pine is that? Looks like it has some good age to it. You should groom it and wire it out this fall.

Top Bottom