Tiny Juniper...gift for Christmas.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am in West Virginia. I am in a townhome. I do not have a garage.
It is 41° outside. We will be having freezing weather this winter.

LOL, we said the same thing when we moved in here, "What's up with the upside down electrical outlets"?
We even asked the landlord. He didn't see anything wrong with it.

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, this orientation places the ground wire ’up’ - so, in the very unlikely chance that something drops on the wire and cuts the cord, theoretically it would contact the ground wire instead of the hot wire. If that happens to you, that’s the day you need to buy a lotto ticket! 😁

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, your bonsai is an outdoor tree....

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Actually, this orientation places the ground wire ’up’ - so, in the very unlikely chance that something drops on the wire and cuts the cord, theoretically it would contact the ground wire instead of the hot wire. If that happens to you, that’s the day you need to buy a lotto ticket! 😁
I'm currently living in a house with half the outlets oriented upwards, and half oriented downwards. And when it rains, I get a ground fault on one circuit that makes me wonder when the house is going to burn down :) Fortunately we plan on tearing the house down in the next six months :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am in West Virginia. I am in a townhome. I do not have a garage.
It is 41° outside. We will be having freezing weather this winter.

LOL, we said the same thing when we moved in here, "What's up with the upside down electrical outlets"?
We even asked the landlord. He didn't see anything wrong with it.
Back to the subject of your tree! :)

You have a juvenile juniper of some species. Probably a procumbens juniper, but we have to let it grow a little bit before we can better identify it. Care for junipers doesn't really vary much from one cultivar to another.

Right now the entire juniper has juvenile foliage (prickly foliage). Depending on the type of juniper, as it grows and ages, it may switch over to scale foliage (soft).

Junipers are almost impossible to keep indoors long term unless you have a serious indoor grow setup with artificial lighting - like people who grow marijuana, or indoor succulents, etc. It will not survive long term if your plan is to put it in a window. However, it is absolutely robust enough to live outdoors in West Virginia - just not this winter. Trees go into and come out of dormancy slowly, and there is no way you could introduce your juniper to freezing nights at this point.

The most important thing is to provide it a ton of light... and keep the roots from having problems. Which leads me to the biggest question... the health of the soil. Can you share a photo of what the soil looks like?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, your bonsai is an outdoor tree....
My 90 year-old father is notorious for not reading labels...and speed-reading just about everything.
Hence, he bought me an outdoor bonsai for the indoors.

He also bought me a Green Weeping Willow Bonsai Tree Cutting - Thick Trunk Start, but that's sitting in water and hasn't grown roots yet, so I'm focusing on this Juniper first.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is the dirt...
I can move this onto my patio garden in the spring, but is there anything hope for it now?
Do you have an unheated, attached garage by any chance?

You could keep it in there so it at least gets some cooler temperatures. Just make sure to water it when it starts to get dry.
You can probably move it outside in March/April

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't have a garage on my townhouse. I am on an end unit though. My laundry closet is against the outer wall and it's unheated. That closet is cold, but it has no light or window.

Top Bottom