Tiny Mugo, Big Help

oliviad

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi!

I’m new to this still and need a little help! I picked up this dwarf Mugo Pine and repotted it easily, but I’m unsure what to do stylistically with it, or if I should just let it be now and wait until next year to style it. Any opinions/help would be majorly appreciated.

I’m trying really hard to keep up with caring for my dad’s trees while adding some to the collection to keep a balance of numbers. He passed away around eight years ago and the buck was kind of passed down onto me, taking care of them. We’ve lost a few, but luckily the ones who have a couple hundred years on ‘em are still kicking. Anyway, the help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• D4169C67-AF56-4ADB-B0B8-2D6EB4884C09.jpeg
    D4169C67-AF56-4ADB-B0B8-2D6EB4884C09.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 75

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Even though it's coming from somebody who has a hard time following the advice: try to limit yourself to do 1 action per season. You did a repot, then people say it would be wise to wait a little and see how it responds.
If new growth happens, keeps growing and stays healthy, then it's time to think about the next step.
I think that's the safest option.

oliviad

Seedling
Reaction score
@Wires_Guy_wires from the reading I’ve been doing, that’s what I thought I ought to do. I’m trying super hard not to be a tree murderer this season, and repotting some of my dad’s old trees has stressed me out, so I’ve been second guessing like everything now lol. Thank you! I’ll keep my hands off it for now ?

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A great resource on mugo pines:
Mugo Pines

You also may consider removing some branches from the middle to
prevent a "knuckle" or reverse taper.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I’m trying super hard not to be a tree murderer this season, and repotting some of my dad’s old trees has stressed me out, so I’ve been second guessing like everything now lol. Thank you! I’ll keep my hands off it for now
I'm having the same issue: I want everything to thrive, to be at the best they can be. But that means sometimes, I'll have to leave the plants alone for a season.

As for the knuckles, yes, the lower branches were bothering me as well. I have learned that it's best to reduce everything to 2. This is easier to balance later on, and doesn't allow the trunk to thicken like a clenched fist over time. Mugo's have a strong tendency to do that, as do all pines as far as I know.
1 left, 1 right, 1 center and 1 in the back? That means 2 have to go and 2 will be kept. But.. You did a repot. So that's something to keep in the back of your head for the end of summer?
I don't know. I'm just starting to learn the way of the pines. I'm not really comfortable making these kind of statements, since I have no clue how pines respond to various treatments, or even what to look for as signs of health (other than the obvious: growth, growth, growth and not dying).

Top Bottom